Limit web site access

Status
Not open for further replies.

trithumb

Im setting up my office and I only want my employees to access certain sites. I know there are web "filters" but they can always be bypassed. Is there a way to say ok you can go on these 3 sites exp www.Mapquest.com ect. And they are only able to access that without admin rights?

Our local library uses a quite draconian filter system that can block by keyword or url; anything blocked pops up an "access denied" screen that can only be overridden with a password and access code. It would probably be fairly simple to have it block everything except a few chosen sites.

the normal way to control access is to use a proxy

you configure the gateway router to forward 'controlled ports' to the proxy server
and to only accept from the same; eg (80,443=http, 25,110,143=email)
this will cause clients to not have internet access
(it could also be used to control access to internal departmental servers).

Then you instal the proxy server and use the Domain Controller to reconfigure client
browsers to use your proxy

Now all access flows thru it and you can properly control all domain access
as well as specific protocol usage, eg Torrents and Streamed Video.

I guess one shoe doesn't fit all; therefore, I've never been a fan of being a 'policeman' at work or such. I think treating them as adults (as hughva also thankfully said) and making them realize that they have a stake in what they are doing is much better approach. Atleast, for me it has been such a good thing, as I never needed to resort to such things about people working for me; a more targeted & focused approach has always produced good results.

customers also use the computer. So I need everything but a select few websites blocked. I don't need the customers looking up things they don't need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back