Limited account vs Admin Account

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBE300

Hello all.

I am back with another question. It has been a few weeks and having secured the heck out of my network all 3 PC's are doing great and I am having no issues.

I set them all up using the instructions in this great post:

"Prevent infections by making windows more secure..."

Thanks for this really very much.

QUESTION: So now I am wondering having set up limited and safe admin accounts if its worth the trouble?

Can I get some detailed information on how much safer or unsafe it is to use either account type for my main daily use?

As stated above I have my PCs set up as recommended and behind an extra router which is my gateway thru the ADSL Router. Just wondering what I am getting for the extra hassle of using a limited account and if I use a admin account how much more dangerous would it be.

Thanks in advance for the always great advice.

-C.

GBE300 said:
Thanks in advance for the always great advice.
An optimist.We like that. :)

It`s generally considered a good idea to run from a limited account,for day to day use.

It really depends how confident you are of avoiding hackers and trojans.

If your behind a router,and use a software firewall,and don`t download

trojans,and have followed all the other advice in that security thread,using the admin is probably OK.

If you are the only one who touches the system, IMO, would just leave it in the admin account. If you have other people on the system and do not want them to download software, install hardware etc.. then I would setup a limited account with a generic password so everyone else can use that account.

If you do loads of networking, installing programs, printers, edited the system like the registry and services etc... then just stay as an admin.

But once the system is set up the way you want it, and all you do is use a handful of programs, print stuff, browse the web; then using the limited adds an extra level of protection.

The main diff between the two is easy to find with a google search, Microsoft lists them. It's mainly related to networking and installing things. And limited access to system changes.

Its really a convinence issue. To be honest I am getting sick of having to use "run as" to start online games as the admin (when logged into the limited account) and some other programs in order for them to work from the limited account. Also I am still trying to set up my internal network just right (most likely be posting about that soon if it doesnt get working correctly).

I do very much like the fact that it adds the extra safety of not being able to install so anything that comes across the wire can't imbed itself. I am a pretty safe web surfer and 90% of my online time is for gaming and/or Downloading bit torrents (using trust worth sites and clients).

GBE300 said:
Its really a convinence issue. To be honest I am getting sick of having to use "run as" to start online games as the admin (when logged into the limited account) and some other programs in order for them to work from the limited account. Also I am still trying to set up my internal network just right (most likely be posting about that soon if it doesnt get working correctly).

I do very much like the fact that it adds the extra safety of not being able to install so anything that comes across the wire can't imbed itself. I am a pretty safe web surfer and 90% of my online time is for gaming and/or Downloading bit torrents (using trust worth sites and clients).
This is the norm for computer admins; Install and maintain from a privileged account and
perform application activity on a limited account -- true even for Unix systems.

I run my XP/Home laptop this way, and while it can be inconvenient if you perform a lot of installs,
it sure improves the security while surfing or when there's Shared Folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back