Limited or No Connectivity - Windows XP & SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched off my modem and router during a stormy night, after that I was not able to get on to the internet. Router would not power on, Cisco replaced it.

I have 2 laptops and 1 desktop. Both the laptops work fine with the modem directly, the desktops does not "Limited or No Connectivity".I have configured my router now, both the laptops work fine (wireless)the desktop still does not (wired). Same error.

Tried to reinstall XP and it stops at "Installing Network Components - 34 minutes" and hangs there for over 24 hours :).Disabled the onboard LAN Card from the BIOS and installed XP, then turned on the card and updated the XP.

Still the same error "Limited or No Connectivity".

Troubleshooting :
0)Removed all additional components NVIDIA Video card, 1 - IDE HDD and 1 - SATA HDD.

1)Installed Microsoft patch (KB884020) and updated registry

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\IPSec]
"AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule"=dword:00000002

2)Ran WinsockXPFix.exe

3)From the OS Help & Support ran the Network Diagnostics, all ok except that I get something like Invalid DHCP Server 255.255.255.255

4)Uninstalled the existing driver and updated with the latest for the network adapter.

5)Removed the ethernet cable and powered off the computer for sometime. Connect the ethernet cable and then powered back the computer.

From the device manager the device seems to be working fine.

Details of my PC are
- Windows XP with Service Pack 2
- ASUS A8V-MX - AMD Socket 939 - VIA K8M800
- Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

The only changes I had made on the PC a week before are attached on additional SATA HDD and replaced the RAM 512 MB, if this helps.Currently I have only one SATA HDD connected , 1 DVD ROM and 1 Floppy Drive.

Any suggestion are welcome :)

Forgot to add
- Not Firewalls , even the Windows Firewall is disabled.
- Set the Network card to 10Mbps/Full Duplex
- IPCONFIG I get a private IP 162.X.X.X

Was the desktop plugged in to the network when the storm hit? The NIC card could be burnt out if that is the case. Happened to a neighbor of mine in a similar lightning strike. Took out his router and his NIC card.

Try connecting modem via usb cable just use ur printer cable b4 u go out and buy one. direct to PC not through a router.

Thanks NetCablesPlus - My guess is it was connected , wifey was at home and using it. She aint sure. Is there a way I can confirm that it is fried :(. I check through the device and it shows as working.I do a test through Windows and it says ok. If I know for sure that it is fried, I would rather go and buy a wireless adapter than try and fix it.If it aint fried I would like to fix it :)

Mike - Am connecting the USB today, cos I needed the ISP help for it. They make the configuration in the modem itself. Will post what happens next.

Thanks Mike , that was as simple as it :) . Sometime you just go brain dead. This desktop is becoming a pest, today I called up the ISP and while I was checking my keyboard conked off. I guess just bad like the economy.Am working today so will not be able to test further. Will test and post the outcome.

While it would not have helped you with this incident, you obviously live in a spot where you should have a really good surge protector for your equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back