TechSpot

Lindows to keep its name..

By lokem
Mar 18, 2002
  1. Seems like a small blow to MS:

Full article: http://www.betanews.com/article.php3?sid=1016512425

Hopefully Lindows lives up to its promises.

2. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 1,145

Be afraid M$, be very very afraid!

I've mentioned Lindows™ on several occassions & wasn't to concerned about this nuisance lawsuit. What the "big boys" try to do is wear you down & deplete your resources, w/ these lawsuits w/o merit.

Lindows™ when developed, will allow M$ programs (like Office) to run on Luinx. Oh happy day!

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Interestingly enough, MS have been ordered to produce a version of Windows "Lite" if you like, which does not include bundled IE and media player, etc....

MS predicts that this, together with the release of the source code to developers, could result in as many as 4000 different versions of Windows.

In that case, MS had pledged to STOP PRODUCING WINDOWS completely.....

4. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Posts: 868

I think Microsoft is simply scared that someone else might make a better version than Gates ever could. Just look at the success Linux has had as a open source OS. I'm sure many programmers would love to tweak Microsoft's OS to their liking and make it better and faster than it has been closed source.

It's too bad Microsoft can't keep their grubby hands off invading everything in the market to further monopolize their business.

5. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

If windows ever becomes open source, we may finally be able to rid it of all of the bloat, that the lazy M$ programmers have added over the years. :)

6. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,628   +113

[​IMG]

Sounds like they have their own development team.
    Don't think we'll be adding our own code anytime soon...
    But then again I am not completely sure, but having a Careers page doesn't suggest its not going to be an open source product.

7. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

I'd rather use applications made for Linux than run M$ apps in it. This cross-platform thing can't be made as solid as real Linux applications.

8. uncleel

9. uncleel

10. lokem

lokem TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 773

I wonder how will lindows be able to compete with Mandrake and SuSe. It's good though, we'll get more choices :D

11. lokem

lokem TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 773

Just noticed this interesting article over at www.newsforge.com regarding Lindows:

Hope this doesn't turn out into an ugly one...

Here's some more:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.