LinkedIn files lawsuit to stop unknown group from using bots to steal profile data

By Shawn Knight
Jan 8, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. LinkedIn has filed a lawsuit aimed at stopping competitors from using bots to collect information from hundreds of thousands of user profiles. The company wants the group of “John Does” to stop the activity and make them pay for violating...

Read more
  2. Whosteell

Whosteell Newcomer, in training

Oh, this is karma. The company that covertly downloads your entire address book from Gmail (or Outlook) when you sign up, and the relentlessly impersonates you by sending weekly emails to EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR CONTACTS telling them YOU want them to join LinkedIn... They're suing hackers?

Their website is nothing short of malicious, relationship-straining, malware. Their business motto thrives on deception and spamming. To be quite honest, I'm surprised they have not been sued out of existence for what they do on a daily basis.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  3. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 670   +202

I know, it takes comic irony to a new level. If their going to be suing people for being smarter criminals than themselves shouldn't they start with Google, the biggest data thief of them all? LOL, death to all web spyware companies.
  4. dennis777

dennis777 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 274   +29

Lol their user creation of their website is weak if a bot could do this in the first place.
    H3llion likes this.
  5. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,697   +873

Hahaha wow LinkedIn.
  6. As Gigaom points out, it’s unclear really if LinkedIn has a solid leg to stand on since it isn’t exactly illegal to copy information from a website.

er, what?
    guess this author has not heard of the DMCA before
  7. Capaill

Capaill Newcomer, in training Posts: 81   +13

How can you sue an unknown person?
    It sounds more like they are suing Amazon -- good luck with that.

Like the first poster, I also got burned by LinkedIn so I have no sympathy for them.
  8. Nope, don't feel sorry for Linkedin, or their foolish, desperate, mostly egotistical clientele. It's their decision to pay attorneys rather than programmers.
  9. It has been going on for many, many years.

Why do you think some people are so poor in their understanding of things, because they are not people who speak your language but Bots that send out an occasional 'help me' to their owners when the BotScript fails.

Won't say which extremely large Sites have (had) this trouble but some Sites have (recently / not) said they are working on it (and you will see your Follows / Subs, disappear in Bulk on 'Cleaning Days').

So, like your mommy told you (or failed to tell you) don't post it if you don't want anyone to know -- did you really think no one could see whatever. Who are you posting Stuff for, yourself.

IF it is "Private Cloud Storage" (just for yourself) then make sure you:

1. Don't use Wireless.
    2. Use https
    3. Update your Certs.
    4. Use Sites with either better Security or ones not worth the bother (and Hosted at a decent place).
    5. Share (or store) as little as possible.
    6. Obtain Common Sense, apply liberally (as you used to Post).
    7. Expect you will be sharing it with someone, someday. (What if your Computer is stolen).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.