Linking two router in one network

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey every one

i am having Exist network “area A” which include:
-1 modem connected to a linksys router ”router 1” through dump switch “x”.
-From the router switch:
- 2 PC are connected, pc 1"server” and pc 2 “client”
- External Ethernet hard disk is connected as well "it can be access from pc 2 and any pc or laptop connected to the network “wire / wireless”
- From pc 1, a network printer is connected via USB cable “it can be access from pc 2 and any pc or laptop connected to the network “wire / wireless”
-Also another pc 3 is connected wireless

what i want is to add Additional network in “area B”:
- I need to add another router to area B, “router 2”
- The router is connected to the same modem, through dump switch ”x”
- I want the user in area B to use the internet from router 2
- Also I want them to be able to access pc 1”server” and pc 2 in area A
- Also I want them to access to the Ethernet external hard disk as well as the printer.

please tell me how to do so

thanks

Is there a specific reason why you need to use two routers?

I'd have thought you would be much better off actually using a network switch, or utilising the 2nd router as a network switch and WAP instead.

Dear Leeky

Is there a specific reason why you need to use two routers?

I'd have thought you would be much better off actually using a network switch, or utilising the 2nd router as a network switch and WAP instead.

thanks leeky

please see the attach pdf for image,

actually I want to use router cause I want to access to both internet as well as PCs and server in area A,

please tell me how to make the second router as a network switch and WAP?

also see the pdf 222

thanks

Attachments

• office nw.pdf
    93 KB · Views: 2
  • 222.pdf
    33.1 KB · Views: 1
Your modem goes straight to the first router. You connect the networked devices from the 1st area to this.

You then connect your router in the second zone to the router in the first one. All the networked devices in the 2nd area then connect to this.

Or you can do the following:

Run the modem to the first router. Connect the devices into the 1st area into the router, and purchase a network switch, and then connect all the computers in the 2nd area to this network switch, and then connect the 2nd router to this network switch and set the router to act as a wireless access point only.

In order to explain how to configure it, I would need your router make, and model to advise you further.

You do not need to switch the modem between networks. Create one network, and link all of the networked devices into the one network. They'll all see each other, and you can configure certain folders not to be viewable to others anyway. An easier solution is to make them available on the network, but passworded so only authorised users can access them with the correct security details.

Don't overcomplicate networks, they'll bite you in the bum with problems your unable to fix. Simple is easy. :D

Dear Leeky

Your modem goes straight to the first router. You connect the networked devices from the 1st area to this.

You then connect your router in the second zone to the router in the first one. All the networked devices in the 2nd area then connect to this.

Or you can do the following:

Run the modem to the first router. Connect the devices into the 1st area into the router, and purchase a network switch, and then connect all the computers in the 2nd area to this network switch, and then connect the 2nd router to this network switch and set the router to act as a wireless access point only.

In order to explain how to configure it, I would need your router make, and model to advise you further.

You do not need to switch the modem between networks. Create one network, and link all of the networked devices into the one network. They'll all see each other, and you can configure certain folders not to be viewable to others anyway. An easier solution is to make them available on the network, but passworded so only authorised users can access them with the correct security details.

Don't overcomplicate networks, they'll bite you in the bum with problems your unable to fix. Simple is easy.

thanks a lot

actually what i did i took router B and i connect one lan port of router A to the one lan of router B, and guess what "it works" (i think this what you mean by the first part of your explanation)

but for this one to make it i will need to expand a cable from room A to room B which is a miss and sort of >>>>:confused:

i asked my friend he told me to make router B as access point or a repeater and add the mac address in it, the same as in router A
but i don't know how to make that in wrt610n, am still searching.

thanks

thanks a lot

actually what i did i took router B and i connect one lan port of router A to the one lan of router B, and guess what "it works" (i think this what you mean by the first part of your explanation)

but for this one to make it i will need to expand a cable from room A to room B which is a miss and sort of >>>>:confused:

i asked my friend he told me to make router B as access point or a repeater and add the mac address in it, the same as in router A
but i don't know how to make that in wrt610n, am still searching.

thanks

The user manual will explain, or hunt down the manufacturer of your router, and then head to the support page and download the user manual for your model number.

Its pretty much my first solution. You need to run a cat5e/cat6 network cable between the routers, so if they're in different rooms, just run a wire between them.

stuck in there

i got nothing

i saw the manual but :monkey:
i tried to disable the DHCP function so it can work as access point but even after disabling it i was not able to access to the router

i feel am doing it the wrong way

thanks for the help, and please suggest me any other useful way

Before doing anything, do a factory reset of the wrt610n router to remove all settings previously made. On a linksys router this is usually done by pressing the reset button for 30 secs. Once its booted up and ready to go...

You need to disable the following:

1. UPNP
  2. DHCP

You then need to assign the wrt610n a static IP address in range of the first router. I tend to use 192.168.1.254 for a WAP (note this will become the IP address used to access the wrt610n webpanel as well). Then connect the wrt610n from port #1 to port #1 of the first router with a network cable. You should be then ready to go. :)

Once its all working, if you log into your first routers webpanel, you should see the wireless access point in the DHCP client listing as being connected.

Since you've done a hard reset, you will need to configure the network settings for wireless again, and set security policies for that connection.

Then connect the wrt610n from port #1 to port #1 of the first router with a network cable. You should be then ready to go

:slurp::slurp::slurp::slurp::slurp:

thanks

but at the end i must connect the two router together (router A lan to router B lan) .... right?

thanks

Yes. Port 1 of router A needs to be connected by a network cable to port 1 of router B.

Yes. Port 1 of router A needs to be connected by a network cable to port 1 of router B.

can i make it with out expanding a cable, cause i don't like go to the cabling procedure again cause the both room are not close to each other

thanks leeky
:)

Some wireless access points can be configured to repeat a wireless signal, but in the case of your router its highly unlikely you can do so.

Your going to need to physically wire the router in, in order for it to work I'm afraid.

Before doing anything, do a factory reset of the wrt610n router to remove all settings previously made. On a linksys router this is usually done by pressing the reset button for 30 secs. Once its booted up and ready to go...

You need to disable the following:

1. UPNP
2. DHCP
You then need to assign the wrt610n a static IP address in range of the first router. I tend to use 192.168.1.254 for a WAP (note this will become the IP address used to access the wrt610n webpanel as well). Then connect the wrt610n from port #1 to port #1 of the first router with a network cable. You should be then ready to go.

Once its all working, if you log into your first routers webpanel, you should see the wireless access point in the DHCP client listing as being connected.

Since you've done a hard reset, you will need to configure the network settings for wireless again, and set security policies for that connection.

Dear Leeky

where can I change the UPNP in my router setting>
and for the DHCP, should I disable the DHCP server option, is that what you mean>

I already connected a cable between routers A and B "lan 1 to lan2"

regarding the static ip address, you told me it must be in the same range as router A "ip address in router A is 192.168.2.100 - 149"

how I can out my static ip address in router B

please see the attach pdf

Attachments

• nw.pdf
    38.1 KB · Views: 1
Dear Leeky

where can i change the UPNP in my router setting>
and for the DHCP, should i disable the DHCP server option, is that what you mean>

i already connected a cable between routers A and B "lan 1 to lan2"

regarding the static ip address, you told me it must be in the same range as router A "ip address in router A is 192.168.2.100 - 149"

how i can out my static ip address in router B

please see the attach pdf

You need that cable to go to LAN1 of each router.

Yes, the DHCP server needs to be disabled.

Set your wireless access point IP to 192.168.2.149, then it is in range of the first routers IP address pool. That said, your router will support (I'm fairly certain!) 254 IP addresses. So it should be from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.253

UPNP is usually in the Administration > Managment menu on Linksys routers.

What are your thoughts on this router any how? As its the very same router I'm considering getting due to gigbit LAN ports. :)

You need that cable to go to LAN1 of each router.

Yes, the DHCP server needs to be disabled.

Set your wireless access point IP to 192.168.2.149, then it is in range of the first routers IP address pool. That said, your router will support (I'm fairly certain!) 254 IP addresses. So it should be from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.253

UPNP is usually in the Administration > Managment menu on Linksys routers.

What are your thoughts on this router any how? As its the very same router I'm considering getting due to gigbit LAN ports.

thanks,

-i have done the same and,
-for the router ip address is: 192.168.2.149
-i put the static ip address as:192.168.2.115
-DHCP is disable
-UPNP is disable as well

result = i can't access to the wireless network.
i don't know why, before this i fallowed all your instruction except disabling the UPNP, i kept it as it is....... what you suggest me to do?

regarding the router it is my firs time using it, its good when it comes to hanging, cause when you download so many things you router start hanging but this one not hanging. i don't like the cove reg area for the router its not that much.

UPNP should be disabled.

Why have you put the static IP as ending in .115? You only need to change the IP address so you can access each router on the nework.

I would remove the static IP, and then in the first router's webpanel, manually set the IP address of your wireless access point (2nd router) to end in .149 Essentially you want 192.168.2.149 to be the IP address you use to log onto your linksys router.

I'm no expert in this, but the procedure seemed pretty self explanatory. You don't want to use the router function, just the wireless access point function.

UPNP should be disabled.

Why have you put the static IP as ending in .115? You only need to change the IP address so you can access each router on the nework.

I would remove the static IP, and then in the first router's webpanel, manually set the IP address of your wireless access point (2nd router) to end in .149 Essentially you want 192.168.2.149 to be the IP address you use to log onto your linksys router.

I'm no expert in this, but the procedure seemed pretty self explanatory. You don't want to use the router function, just the wireless access point function.

1-what about configuring my static ip addrees, see the image please.
2-and also for accessing to the router"access point" in order to make more modification, which ip address I will use to log in?
3- regarding the ip address, do you mean I make my "router" access point ip as
192.168.2.149 and then put the same ip for the router A ?"will be there any conflict"

thank you:wave:

Attachments

• static ip.pdf
    19.4 KB · Views: 1
1-what about configuring my static ip addrees, see the image please.
2-and also for accessing to the router"access point" in order to make more modification, which ip address i will use to log in?
3- regarding the ip address, do you mean i make my "router" access point ip as
192.168.2.149 and then put the same ip for the router A ?"will be there any conflict"

thank you:wave:

I think we're both confusing each other here. lol. So ignore everything else, and try the following:

Use no IP address at all. All you need to do is change the IP address of the linksys router, IF it conflicts with the first routers IP address. Your only doing this, so you can log into each of the routers control panels through your web browser. You need access to both.

For example:

If the first routers login IP is 192.168.1.1 and the 2nd router is 192.168.1.1 then you NEED to change the second router IP so you can login to it.

If they're different IP addresses already then you have no need to worry. This is the only IP you need to worry about, so you can log in to your control panel from the network using browser.

The static IP your refering to is for static IP internet connections. You do not want to be allowing an internet connection with the linksys router, your first one is handling it. So leave the IP alone, and do not set any settings for the internet connection as your not using it.

Then make sure....you...

Disable the DHCP server
Disable UPNP.
Connect LAN 1 port of your main router to LAN 2 port of your linksys router.

You will then be using your linksys (2nd router) as a switch with WiFi.

You really shouldnt need to assign any IP addresses, and any devices connected will get IP addresses from your main routers DHCP server.

I think we're both confusing each other here. lol. So ignore everything else, and try the following:

Use no IP address at all. All you need to do is change the IP address of the linksys router, IF it conflicts with the first routers IP address. Your only doing this, so you can log into each of the routers control panels through your web browser. You need access to both.

For example:

If the first routers login IP is 192.168.1.1 and the 2nd router is 192.168.1.1 then you NEED to change the second router IP so you can login to it.

If they're different IP addresses already then you have no need to worry. This is the only IP you need to worry about, so you can log in to your control panel from the network using browser.

The static IP your refering to is for static IP internet connections. You do not want to be allowing an internet connection with the linksys router, your first one is handling it. So leave the IP alone, and do not set any settings for the internet connection as your not using it.

Then make sure....you...

Disable the DHCP server
Disable UPNP.
Connect LAN 1 port of your main router to LAN 2 port of your linksys router.

You will then be using your linksys (2nd router) as a switch with WiFi.

You really shouldnt need to assign any IP addresses, and any devices connected will get IP addresses from your main routers DHCP server.

Dear leeky,

the same thing again i can't access to the server and other pcs connected to router A, i did it before by using the static ip and it worked, the thing is i forgot how i configure it.

can u please help me

Dear leeky,

the same thing again i can't access to the server and other pcs connected to router A, i did it before by using the static ip and it worked, the thing is i forgot how i configure it.

can u please help me

If you've messed with it that much I would suggest you do another hard reset to kill all previous settings.

The static IP is for internet connections. You shouldn't be configuring internet connections for the linksys router, because your not using the modem part of it, and don't need it to provide you with an internet connection. All you want is the switch and the wireless access point.

Do a hard reset, and then configure it as described again.

If that doesnt work, I would suggest you have a look at your first router. Clearly something set in there is stopping the 2nd one from working. If the first router has a IP set for the 2nd router, remove it. Also, DHCP and UPNP are enabled on the first router yeah? They should BOTH be disabled on the 2nd router.

It really shouldn't be difficult to use it as a access point and switch. It doesn't need a static IP.

wowowowow

thanks leeky i can access now to the server :slurp::wave:

but i can't access to the access point "router B" web panel

i put the ip address as 192.168.0.1 :dead:

thanks

That's most likely because the linksys default IP is clashing with the 1st routers IP address. You can change it to 192.168.0.149 to resolve this, or...

To save further complicating the matter, if its working as a switch, and the wireless access point is working leave it alone. lol

Should you need to do admin you can always directly connect it to a computer to do it.

thanks leeky i can access now to the server :slurp::wave:

but i can't access to the access point "router B" web panel

i put the ip address as 192.168.0.1 :dead:

thanks
you need direct access to B;
disconnect it from everything and WIRE a connection to any system.
now use your browser to access the 'default' IP address.
once configured, save the settings and disconnect

reconnect B ->A and you're done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back