Linksys Network monitor must die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bark4Soul

I have a Linksys wireless G card, it comes with this network monitor and it has a HUGE memory leak, eats up ALL ur memory in close to an hour tops. I've been going back and forth with Howard on another thread and this may get merged into it, but I need to know how to disable it for good, as of now I am using the windows network manager, and it works great but the Linksys one is not technically a program u can just close, it shows up no matter what u do. I tried rolling back the driver and windows disagrees with me. Okay it's called WMP54Gv4.exe and it's eventually killing me, only thing to do is reboot and try again. The net works fine, it's the memory leak that is killing me, takes my CPU up to 100%. If anyone knows how to make the network card work w/o the network monitor, I am open to suggestions, or if I can roll back to driver or version from 4.5 to 2.0, it's beem said it doesnt leak on 2.0....

Plz help a dude out, I am always in need, TechSpot... u save my life!

Hi

Go into device manager and see what drivers are listed in the cards properties, now get a pen and paper, and write them down.

Now uninstall the card and its drivers, then hunt for the files you wrote down earlier, delete them off the system, there will also be an INF file find that in c:\windows\inf and delete it.

Now when you reinstall it, dont run the setup disk, just insert the card and point it to the driver section on the disk.

One working card without all the crap that goes with it.

This used to work for me, it may not work for you, but its worth a try.

Regards

Ive tired that, thing is, when u download the drivers, it downloads this network monitor as well. I tried pointing to directly to like C:/Program Files/Linksys/Drivers or something and Wondows still can't find them. I know others have disabled this thing, right now the monitor is OFF in my taskbar but it's THERE, I know there is a way to make it go away but I can't figure out how..

OK

Use Msconfig (Start > Run >msconfig) and see if it has a listing there, or else find the exe file and rename it, it has to be launched from somewhere.

Regards
PS what NIC is it I have a linksys as well.

Sorry, whats a NIC? the model I have is the one listed above, it's not the USB one, it's the hardwired on, into a PCI slot. I can't find it under startup under msconfig either, I had this card before, and a friend installed it for me one day when I was gone, he got rid of the network monitor but I dont know how he did it, what do you need from me again?

Bark4Soul said:
Sorry, whats a NIC? the model I have is the one listed above, it's not the USB one, it's the hardwired on, into a PCI slot. I can't find it under startup under msconfig either, I had this card before, and a friend installed it for me one day when I was gone, he got rid of the network monitor but I dont know how he did it, what do you need from me again?
NIC: Network Interface Card -- Ethernet adaptor by a more generic name

Greetings

I've been in electronics and computers since 1983 (ouch!). I've benefitted a lot from this website among others and hopefully I can help be of help to someone too.
I know that this post has been up for a while but I would like still to reply to it in hopes that someone else will get to read it and hopefully be of help.
Yes Linksys WMP54GS wireless pci card can cause some problem if you install all this c_@_ that comes on CD. If you start the Linksys EasyLink Advisor, it will terminated your router connections. The Linksys Monitor Utility takes a lot of cpu time(every 2 sec.it accesses the drive) therefore taking a lot of resources and slowing down everything. Solution: Do not follow the instructions that came with the cd and the card. Uninstall those 2 apps. restart your pc and it will prompt you that it found new hardware. If not, go into control panel add hardware. If it doesn't find new hardware after you uninstall you may have to remove the card (after powerdown) restart the pc, powerdown again, re-install the card and powerup again. When prompted to find driver or something like that just insert the cd that your card came with and click next. It will install the driver only and then you can connect to your router through Windows network connection.

OK this is actually pretty easy to answer. If you don't already have WinRAR installed you will need to download/install/update that program. Then you download the proper driver install program from Linksys. There are several versions of the card so make sure you download the correct install program. Uninstall the driver and monitor software for the network card. You should probably reboot at this time.

Now right click the driver install program and choose Extract to WMP54Gv whatever. WinRAR created a folder with all the NIC drivers in it. All you have to do is go to your Device Manager page/menu and right click the yellow question mark next to the Wmp54G. Choose update driver from the context menu. The Hardware Update Wizard wil come up and you should choose "No, not this time" and then click the Next button. Then choose "Install from a list or specific location" and click next. Then unclick "Search removable media" and click "Include this location in the search" and then browse to the folder WinRAR created with the driver in it. Click the next button. If Windows doesn't find the driver then there is a folder named Drivers inside the folder WinRAR created you may have to browse to it and then click the next button. If that doesn't work then there are folders inside the Driver folder with the actual driver inside it, and you may have to browse to those folders for Windows to find the driver. Once you have done that click the next button. Windows should install just the driver and not the monitor utility.

How I got help

I had the same problem. I could not uninstall the linksys wireless monitoring program. The program installed twice with different icons and when I tried to launch the wireless monitoring program, it gave me a access violation error. I chatted with Linksys and they emailed me a program called CleanReg that uninstalled the program.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back