Linksys router firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give it a try, but keep another router handy in case something screws up. Come back and tell us how it went

I just finished putting Tomato on my wrt54gl and I really love it. I had some problems with port forwarding and QoS with the linksys firmware but with Tomato it just flies. It was very easy to install and very easy to use and gives you loads of features, but one thing you need to look out for is if your router is compatible. I had an incompatible wrt54g and bought a wrt54gl just for this purpose.

These third-party firmware software really not so hot.. Some routers it will work and some it won't. I had tried Tomato which is more like Linux configuration. So if you're good at Linux then you'll like Tomato. But Some wireless security features forces you to use other methods for creating the encryption key. That's the only problem I had with Tomato. I had tested the Router with and without. I didn't see much speed improvement. DD-WRT will that would never install. I had to return to the main firmware from the Maker of the Router.

Tomato is NOTHING like linux. There isn't any manual configuration involved at all. It just gives you a lot more options than the default firmware. It's also very easy to use, and I've not seen any people who had routers that it supported have any problems, provided that you flash it while connected through LAN and not wireless. flashing over wireless is just asking for problems.

I think you're thinking of openWrt/X-Wrt with the linux thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back