Linksys router/printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could anyone tell me if it's possible to connect a printer to a Linksys router (model No. BEFSX41 with VPN Endpoint) that doesn't have usb support to use it on 2 computers?

Thanks in advance,
Andy.

That router doesn't have any printserver functionality.

You need either a printer with builtin printserver or buy/set up a separate printserver box or use one of the computers to share the printer.

What do you think is behind that ethernet port? It's a tiny PCB that translates from LPR/JedtDirect (acting as a print server) to plain PS/PCL/whatever (acting as a client connected to LPT/USB).

Nodsu said:
What do you think is behind that ethernet port? It's a tiny PCB that translates from LPR/JedtDirect (acting as a print server) to plain PS/PCL/whatever (acting as a client connected to LPT/USB).
I agree. The function/features of the printer will list ethernet connectivity but may not list printserver per se. My comment was just clarification :)

OK, I have no ethernet connector on the printer but I have an adapter which allows me to connect my usb cable to the router ethernet port.
If it can't be set up like this how do I set up a print server box?
I can share the printer easily enough through one PC or the other but this means that both machines have to be on to use it from the one it's not connected to. I'd like to be able to use it from either one without having to go into the other room to power up the other PC? :rolleyes:

Cheerz,
Andy.

PS: Thanks guys for your fast replies :grinthumb

If you get a printer with ethernet connectivity, then it attaches DIRECTLY to
the router and you only need the router and any single system which needs to print
to be powered on. Any set of systems will be able to share the NETWORKED printer.

Note: the USB port on the router WILL NOT WORK for this. That port goes to a
modem for the DSL connection in place of using an ethernet connection.

The printer with a USB port is designed for a direct connection to a computer,
not a network. Even using a USB-Ethernet cable will not turn it into a NETWORKED printer.

As Nodsu has already stated, you can get a small 'print server box' and the
connection would look like
router -- printserver -- Networked Printer
.......+---systemA
.......+---systemB
and all systems will share Networked Printer

Ok thanks, can you tell me more about this print server please :) Like what it is exactly and what sort of cost they would be?

Cheerz,
Andy.

Sorry to be a nuisance but I have one more question :eek:
I noticed that there were internal print server cards available also, so my question is, are these meant to be used in server machines only or something else that I have no clue about :confused:

BTW: it looks like I picked the right site to sign up to anyway as the responses to my newbie network questions have been Fantastic :approve:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back