Linksys router WRT54G dissconnection issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wireless linksys router is connected directly with a wire to the PC using VISTA. I am using a cable modem that is not a problem. The internet connection is intermittently lost and this can happen any time of the day or night. When internet connection is lost I cant go online, VOIP telephone dies and the PC that is wirelessly connected cannot go online. The online activity light on the modem is also dead. Router otherwise is ON.

What we do in this situation is remove the power cord and connect back after 10-15 second and this brings back the internet connection. Everything works fine.

Firmware for linksys router is up to date and sleep/power save option on PC is off. If I can do anything else please help. Thanks in advance.

If you've got the latest firmware there isn't much else you can do. I had one of those modems die on me and it would lose the connection sometimes too. You could try a 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT, its really nice and gives you a lot more features, just make sure you get the correct one for your revision number.

How is the power source? I've heard if you get voltage spikes/drops from the wall it can cause problems like that. I would think they would have to be fairly significant to cause a problem, but maybe not.

How many wireless devices are connected. I had no trouble with my old WRT54G, but my new draft-N had issues handling mixed wireless networks with similar symptoms.

Out of sheer curiosity, when the uplink is down, see if the router has an external IP-address from the ISP and shows ISP's DNS servers. There may be some trouble with the length of the IP address lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back