Linksys Router

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old school linksys router. Works fine. So here's my new problem. I use the router in one room and I have a direct connection to a desk top from the router.

Well, I need to use another desk top in the next room. I bought a RangePlus Wireless Network USB to try to connect the desktop wirelessly. It works but I only get a 11.0 Mbps connection.

Crazy thing is that I get a faster connection on my Wii thats further away! I turn it off when I try to connect wirelessly on the desk top but to no avail.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can buy (besides a new desktop) to improve my connection speed?

I have a Dell Dimension 4700

Linksys Router Model

Ok, this is all I have for info on the router... Linksys Wireless Access Point Router 2.4Ghz 802.11b. Model #BEFW11S4

The USB Adapter is Linksys RangePlus Wireless Network USB Adapter Model # WUSB100

I really wanna avoid buying a whole new system. Help!

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-BEFW11S4-Wireless-B-Cable-Router/dp/B00005ARK3

The BEFW11S4 is chunkier than a standard Ethernet switched hub, but is so versatile that a little extra bulk is acceptable. Basic installation involves little more than plugging in the power cord and connecting the Ethernet output from your cable or DSL modem to an input port on the back of the device. Four Ethernet ports on the back accept connections from computers with standard network interface cards, while two antennas on the back handle the unit's wireless capabilities. The standard ports operate at up to 100 Mbps, while the 802.11b technology allows for wireless transmissions at up to 11 Mbps. That's not the blazing-fast performance you'd get from more expensive 802.11a or 802.11g wireless products, butis more than enough to handle Internet connection sharing, LAN gaming, and normal file transfer duties.

Yes (For Wireless)

But your Internet Speed is actually governed by your ISP
You should call your Internet Provider, and ask what your top speed is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back