Linksys Wireless G

By ptim
Jul 12, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I bought a new wifi router, Linksys G, Model WRT54G2, it works fine for my desktop, but I have 2 work laptops and 1 personal laptop, they all have Vista on them, I cant get a wifi connection with any of them. They all have internal wifi cards.
  2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

Make sure the wifi adapters are physically enabled. There is usually a keyboard shortcut that is used to enable/disable the onboard network interface on notebooks. If your desktop is hard-wired to the router (mean direct connect/no wireless) make sure that the router is transmitting a G-signal and that there is no encryption set. You can configure the router's settings by typing "192.168.1.1" in your browser's address bar.
  3. ptim

ptim Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 111

The laptops were working fine on my previous linksys router. My daughters desktop use an external wifi device, it picks it up fine and its faster than before, it also has Vista.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,352   +301

Vista can be cranky; use the Wireless Network Wizard to create the connection.
    When it ask "Public or Private", click on the Private to open the firewall
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.