Linksys Wireless N router asks for password?

By pyromaster114
Jun 1, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, so I bought a new Wireless N router (WRT600N) from Best Buy today, after my Wireless G router decided to go nuts on me.

I got it set up and it works fine for B/G devices, but I set up the Wireless N part, and tried to connect to it with my newest laptop... I click the SSID name that I set for the 5GHz band, and it says "You may need to enter additional information or select a pass key to access this network" or something like that... and the choices Windows Vista Ultimate gives me are:
    Enter/Select Additional Log-On information
    or
    Connect to a Different Network
    Screenshot of choice prompt:
    [​IMG]

If I select the first one (cause duh... i want to connect to that network... ) it brings up this box asking for me to type in a Username, a Password, and a Domain.

What did I do wrong? I told the router in the web-config utility to use WEP not some other weird thing...
    What am I supposed to put in that box?
    This is the box it gives me:
    [​IMG]

What did I do? How do I fix it?
  2. pyromaster114

pyromaster114 TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 395

Okay, so I've gotten somewhere with this after messing with it for a few hours:

I've figured out the following things:
    1) Wireless N 5.0 GHz DOES NOT WORK WELL when told to use WEP encryption.
    Solution: Change to WPA2-Personal AES Encryption.

2) Wireless N 2.4 GHz will not give you the full speed if you're using WEP encryption.
    Solution: Change to WPA2-Personal AES Encryption.

3) Wireless N routers are a pain in the @$$, but faster than the older B/G ones.
  3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,607   +80

Yes WPA or WPA2 solves a lot of problems.. N is still in Draft Mode so it's not standardized yet.. G has been around for years so that is standard.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.