Linksys WRT54G Qs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought the above-referenced router the other day. Set-up was a breeze and after a couple of hiccups, connectivity seems to be solid. However...I have noticed *considerable* increase in download times from the web. For example, on YouTube, prior to installing the router, I never had problems running any videos without lags. Now I lag and stop/start with every one I try to view. I now keep Task Mgr open at all times to observe performance and CPU use. My CPU% pegs with the WUSB54GC.exe process bouncing all over from 0% to ~ 80%. An average webpage stalls on loading. What can I do to get my previous download speeds back???

I'm assuming that file is the connection utility that came with the installation CD?

Have you tried disabling that and using the Windows Connection Utility?

Have you scanned for virii or malware lately? Install anything other than the router?

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.
A message for all newcomers.
SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.
Thanks.

Thanks for the quick response! I would guess that the connection utility in use came from the install CD for the router, overwriting the Windows one. I could try your suggestion if I was sure about how to do it. Is that the New Connection Wizard or the Network Setup Wizard? Or...neither? No other new installs recently and my virus protection is current, although am running a scan right now to check anyway. So then - how to disable the Linksys connection utilit and enabling the Windows one...? Again - your time is greatly appreciated!

To close the Linksys connection agent, simply right click on it and choose exit. Then look for the windows wireless connection utility, that looks like this
wireless-tray.jpg

Right click on that and choose "View Available Wireless Networks".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back