Linux Mint 11 vs. Ubuntu 10.10?

Zen

Ok alternative O.S. folks, I'm right at the cliffs edge as far as choosing either to stay with Ubuntu 10.10 or make the jump and roll with Linux Mint 11. I've done my best to research this and answer this on my own, but from most of the review sites I've visited, they are really talking up Ubuntu 11.04 as something one really needs to use, they ramble on about all the wonderful and simple to use features, awesome depositories, cutting edge design and feel, excellent for Linux beginners, one site even went off on how Ubuntu is the Microsoft Windows of the Linux world.

Then I got review sites talking up a storm about Linux Mint 11, how rugged it is, how stable and rock solid it is, how most Ubuntu depositories will work with Mint, easy to use, fairly easy to learn, the Rolls Royce of the Linux world, easy to look at desktops, simple to install, yada yada yada......

Now mind you, none of the web sites I've visited sighted anything about comparing Ubuntu 10.10 to anything, all of them are currently using Ubuntu 11.04 as their model, so as far as which is better Ubuntu 10.10 or Linux Mint 11, I really don't have a comparison, for everyone is talking up 11.04, not 10.10!

Maybe one thing that will help in recommending me my next course of action, is maybe telling you all what's important to me as far as what I want to see in an operating system.

Eye Candy.......Eye Candy.......and more Eye Candy!

Sorry, but Windows XP's ability to be costumed up by so many third party customization tools had really turned me into a operating system customizing freak. Plus it's hard to break with tradition, when one has been doing it for over a decade. So thank you Wincustomize.org, Window Blinds 7.0, Rainmeter v. 1.4, Samurize 1.2 and Style XP, they helped turn me into the eye candy freak I am today.

So I'm an eye candy junkie, custom colors, dock programs, ability to change ones desktop wallpapers, custom icons, fancy dancy add ons and so forth. My operating system has to be fairly easy to make hardware changes or adjustments, my operating system has to be nicely flow-able as far as getting around from program to program and place to place, it's important to me that my operating system supports my 25 meg high speed internet, that it will chew the speed up and spit it out and then beg me for more, it's very important to me that my operating system properly handles both music and video files effortlessly, also boot up times are a sticky point with me. My Ubuntu 10.10 is fairly speedy, not real fast, but fairly quick to boot up, I want something that will either be as fast or faster to boot as Ubuntu 10.10! And of course the last sticky point with me as far as what I'm looking for in my operating system........Networking this is the biggest selling point to me, the ability for my operating system and the machine it's being hosted on to be able to network up with all my other computers and my one in home server.

So far, for the most part Ubuntu 10.10 has satisfied all the above stated points and needs. But sometimes 10.10 tends to get a little out of it's place and has to be whipped back into shape, just to get it to where it was before a certain problem came to the light. And in no way shape or form am I going to consider making the jump to upgrading my Ubuntu to 11.04, I've seen some questionable reviews as far as the "unity" thing is concerned. These "Unity" reviews are keeping me from going that route.

So there we go, Linux Mint 11 vs. Ubuntu 10.10 if it were you, which one would you run with and maybe a little or brief "why" you would do so!

"Thanks for your time here folks"

Linux Mint 11 uses Ubuntu as its backend. Version 11 uses Ubuntu 11.04.

Its essentially all the good (if you can call it that) of Ubuntu, wrapped in the more codec compatible version of Mint.

Linux is Linux dude. Its a bling as you want it to be. Every distro is capable of that, its a case of just configuring it, and installing the relevant packages as needed.

I would go with Linux Mint (debian rolling edition) because its considerably more stable, and lighter on resources than Ubuntu is. Sure it might require some more configuration, but since its a rolling edition it is always up to date with simple updates from apt-get.

The experience learned in Ubuntu will help you massively with Linux Mint Debian edition as well.

So, my advice is to use Linux Mint Debian. Which kinda means I'm not even recommending you use the two you were comparing. :haha:

P.S. Its repository, not depository. ;)

P.S. Its repository, not depository. ;)

Well I'm a bit embarrassed, didn't mean to imply any personal hygiene products here or any anal entry medications! :eek:

Well as far as your opinion goes Leeky, I'm going to take the leap and run with Linux Mint, I'll make sure to look for that "rolling edition" thing, just in case there is more than one version. I hope you are right, in regards to my Ubuntu experience, I hope it pays off and makes this new O.S. not so hard and or confusing. I think I'm ready to maybe, how would one put this without sounding egotistical, I think I'm ready to "evolve"! I can now configure Ubuntu to look and feel just about however I wish it to. I have grasped the use of the software center, I have a fairly good handle on the use of the "terminal", which at first as you well know Leeky, I complained to no end about! But I now I rather like the terminal. As long as my Toshiba x205 dual SLi laptop and Dell Dimension 5100c and my Dell Dimension 3000 like it and will work on it, that will just about make it all worth while to me. I'm not going to make the transition now, it's like 3:30am here in California and I'm thinking about getting a couple hours of shut eye. After waking up, the coffee, a couple smokes, and my morning mediation, I will get right on this.

Oh yeah, forgot to ask, can Mint be installed the same way as Ubuntu, meaning off of a USB flash drive, if so, that will make things so much more easier!

Thanks for your help Leeky, I'll try to keep you in the loop as things start and how it's going.

If you want to try Debian, then Linux Mint Debian is the one you want. Once you are used to that, you a firm foundation for moving across to Debian 6.

It can be installed in the same way as Ubuntu, using the same USB tools. You just replace the Mint ISO with the Ubuntu one and you're good to go. :)

Depository. That is funny!

But seriously -- the reason what I hate about Linux now is that there is no true realtime kernel available anymore. I have read some news that perhaps someone somewhere might be developing a -realtime or -low-latency kernel -- but until this is verified, tested, and available right away, I'm staying the heck away from Ubuntu, Debian, and any other Linux distros.

I had a rocky time trying to use Rosegarden in UbuntuStudio to do some serious synthesizer applications. Jack crashed every 30 seconds. And this was back when they had the -rt kernel. I wouldn't even touch Linux with a ten-foot SCSI cable -- until I can be assured that it can compete with Cubase on Windows 7.

Zen,

LMDE uses the debian repos - so it's not really the same animal as classic "Linux Mint" - which is a 'buntu derivative.

Mint also couldn't give a toss - even less so that 'buntu - about throwing in proprietary closed source software. But I agree with Leeky in that it (LMDE) may be a better start than debian squeeze which is going to be hard going for a noob.

If it's eye candy type stuff you want then you will soon grow bored of the defaults that are available in LMDE, Mint, 'buntu and any other distro. Personally when it comes to professional polish and compositing effects, I still think KDE is leagues ahead of gnome - though you may want to look at gnome 3. 'buntu's unity is probably one to avoid unless you want your desktop to look like smart phone?

@SammyJames: if you want a real-time kernel you can compile it yourself.

@SammyJames: if you want a real-time kernel you can compile it yourself.

Uh, yeah. Sure. I'll get right on that...

(By the way -- I don't code. I don't compile. I'm a power-user -- not a programmer.)

EoL

P.S. I've already taken lots of heat from all kinds of people about my criticism of Linux. Since it is "free," I guess that those who support, promote, and create code for it feel as though they are somehow being unfarily criticized by folks like me. I disagree. for only one real reason:

If you create code that you expect for people to use, then accept criticism. If you prefer to not receive criticism, then don't advertise the platform. Don't make it available for free on the Internet. Don't set up user forums to get "feedback," and in fact -- don't even bother creating it at all.

I'm not truly suggesting any of these things, and I'm NOT aiming any of this directly at you, Caravel. I'm pointing out these things to make it clear that I feel strongly about software and operating systems. If you read my posts at Tumblr, at http://sammyjamesmusic.tumblr.com, then you may begin to understand the madness to my methods.

Later.

Uh, yeah. Sure. I'll get right on that...

(By the way -- I don't code. I don't compile. I'm a power-user -- not a programmer.)

EoL
:haha:

A programmer codes, the person wanting to use the software compiles...

Patching and building a kernel is not that difficult - certainly in the "power user" realm.

@Leeky: greetings...

We all have opinions...

The question is: Are they defensible? Caravel made a GREAT point in suggesting that anyone with the proper skills can certainly create code for a Linux distro. My skills happen to be in downloading and installing components from repositories. I would call this "coding" no more than I would call HTML creation "programming." Each requires skills -- mostly having to do with the ability to either follow or memorize instructions and carry them out properly.

My opinion about whether Linux needs an -rt kernel is defienisble, but only if you assume that musicians would benefit from it. Since they would, and since many musicians would like to take advantage of the many benefits associated with small-footprint operating systems, then yes -- I feel that my opinion here is defensible.

You may disagree if you like. But if so, then defend your reasons for why I shouldn't care -- or why I should personally invest time and money into researching, creating, testing, and releasing such a kernel.

Right now, I own all of the software that I use. I don't need a Linux distro to get music done. Hah -- I can do that on a Windows machine -- not even on a Mac. So, why should I actually care? I don't. I simply wish that we could move, as an industry (in the musical arts) forward with new exciting products that are based on CISC and ARM technology.

That's all! Nothing to get aflutter about. I often make grandiose statements because I like to feel important. But I know my place -- and at the end of the day, I'm happiest when I'm just sitting down to play my Omnisphere sounds and Battery 3 drumkits...

P.S. And Caravel -- I just caught your last reply -- you may be correct. But I did invest some time in trying to learn about how to improve and / or enhance existing kernels. I don't have the intestinal or the cranial fortitude to sit down and play Russian-Roulette with my blood sugar levels as I lose 16 hours of sleep over a period of 48 -- trying desperately to find that ONE COMMAND that always eludes me...

So -- as I mentioned above -- I just want, like a 5-year-old, to have it placed before me so that I can USE it. Darn it if I feel sometimes like saying: "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR -- and SINCE I'm NOT PAYING for Linux...well, there ya go..."!!!

:)

No harm or meanness intended at all. I've had a rough couple of days, and I don't mean to take it out on you or anyone else here. We'll get through this whole kernel thing. Let's face it -- Linux wouldn't exist if Linus Torvald hadn't develeoped a particular kernel... if memory serves...

Caravel made a GREAT point in suggesting that anyone with the proper skills can certainly create code for a Linux distro.
I made no such point in fact - if you want a pre-emptive kernel you need to apply the RT-Preempt patch to the kernel source and build the kernel against your chosen architecture.

If you're lazy then for debian pengutronix provide a repo for their RT kernel: http://www.pengutronix.de/software/linux-rt/debian_en.html

If that's not sufficient, then by all means continue using whatever OS fulfills your needs...

If you're lazy then for debian pengutronix provide a repo for their RT kernel: http://www.pengutronix.de/software/linux-rt/debian_en.html

If that's not sufficient, then by all means continue using whatever OS fulfills your needs...

Yeah. I'm not lazy by any definition. I'm preoccupied. I have little time to waste "trying stuff" with Linux.

Linux needs to grow up. The people who develop it need to figure out what it's for. If it exists to compete toe-to-toe with Windows and Mac, then they might as well go home -- because Microsoft and Apple can afford to lay waste to everyone else.

If it exists to let people txt, email, browse, Skype, and phone, then sure -- it's great.

If it is some kind of avant-garde, skin-of-your-teeth, seat-of-your-pants, burnt-rubber Red Army get pumped and dumped and cut some new software -- then hey -- go for it.

I initially made the point that I wouldn't touch it anymore. I guess that I got hoodwinked into believing that we were on the cusp of greatness with synthesizer software that would let you build huge, 3,000-voice-polyphonic masterpieces on dual-core systems. I was clearly wrong.

This is why I'm sticking with Cubase on Windows 7, and I'm keeping my Native-Instruments / Spectrasonics / Korg / Celemony software. Because it rocks.

This is why I'm sticking with Cubase on Windows 7, and I'm keeping my Native-Instruments / Spectrasonics / Korg / Celemony software. Because it rocks.
Great... well if that's what floats your boat then go for it.

//edit:

I've already taken lots of heat from all kinds of people about my criticism of Linux
Ever wondered why...? There is always this danger that if you turn up with nothing but criticism and this attitude that your needs somehow outweigh everyone else's, that you might receive a bit of flak from those that do use this OS.

Personally I would say that linux is not for you, based on your comments above and would advise you to stick with windows.

Good luck...

:wave:

Great... well if that's what floats your boat then go for it.

It's floating -- for now. But seriously -- read my Tumblr post about how Roland and Yamaha need to get together and create a new PC OS. They owe it to themselves, to me, and to all of their customers. Because we, the technical and technologically-savvy, MIDI-driven and MIDI-drivers of the techno/trance/house/new-age/electronica of the last 30 years, ARE owed something by them. We've been buying their synths and their software for about that long -- and now we need for them to take the next step. We'll keep on shelling out our hard-earned cash -- as long as they keep on redefining what synthesis and audio production means.

Enjoy.

I hear ya --

I sure do write an awful lot of words. Maybe it's because I can type about 75 words per minute... or maybe it's because I have something to say.

Whatever it is, it sure ain't for everyone...

P.S. And to everyone else -- just to ensure that I'm perceived as remining on-topic -- the idea is that I AM crowing about an alternative OS. That OS could and probably SHOULD have been Linux, but I'm now convinced that it ain't it. And the latest incarnations of said Linux distributions are worse for my personal needs.

Anyone may respond to this, of course, but I'm done posting to this specific thread. Thanks for reading. Take care.

Back