TechSpot

Linux Mint takes first steps into hardware with the mintBox mini-PCs

By Leeky
Jun 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Popular Linux distribution Linux Mint has announced it is to expand into hardware sales by joining forces with Israeli-based, energy-efficient computer solutions provider CompuLab to sell its own Mint branded computers...

Read the whole story

2. mevans336

mevans336 TS Enthusiast Posts: 163   +11

The base model would make a nice HTPC running something like XBMC.

3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,426   +117

Is it just me or does that seem a bit too expensive for a low frequency cpu "net-top"?

4. mevans336

mevans336 TS Enthusiast Posts: 163   +11

It is pricey, but it's fanless and will be low-volume. I'm assuming that's what you're paying for, at least in the beginning until the engineering costs are covered.

5. They seem a little pricey to me.....If it was 300$ it would sell fast...
    You can get the OS for free and build a lot better PC for 550$....

but they are nice....

6. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,426   +117

I bought a better laptop for US$400, that means better CPU, with an attached screen, more HDD space, and with 4gb ram. It even came with Win 7, without it lower the price by $40.

Too pricy.

7. I would also pay no more than $300 for it, not to mention it would probably run fine with 2Gb of RAM and a smaller sized flash memory. For that price (As mentioned earlier) you can get a decent laptop which includes a screen. I don't know why manufacturers aren't using laptops with the motherboard flush to the back of the screen and selling them as all-in-one's. That would appeal to businesses and educational facilities much better.

8. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Sorry, too expensive.

9. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 418   +42

I think (at the very least) they would need to improve the aesthetic appeal of the device(s) before it would sell for anywhere near that price. I like the concept though. I think they could have also offered a iMac like all in one. What set's Apple apart (except for price, of course) is aesthetic appeal.
    Make a nice all in one with Linux mint and ppl might buy it

10. You can get a notebook with better specs and do a whole lot more for that price.

11. I think you guys are missing the point, small form factor, lower power consumption than most laptops, and an OS which is free. Believe me, the price is pretty steep, but if you are looking for something to play diablo 3 while streaming/watching Hulu, then this isn't that cup o' tea. Low power, user friendly OS, and small form-factor, perfect for something like a POS (point of sales) or Kiosks.

12. dcnc123

dcnc123 TS Member Posts: 52

all I can say is... it's way too expensive for a computer with this performance.... better buy the pi or VIa.

13. Windows is not and never best the best, people just dont know how use Linux, am loving this OS pals bring more products. Uncle T (Man TT)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.