Linux... what do I need to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

resu

Hi again :)

right i'm on abit of an OS spree atm and i'm looking at alternatives to windows because im bored tbh

anyway ive got an old socket A computer

athlon 3200xp
2gb ram
160gb
*cant remember the gfx card*

but anyway the motherboard broke on my so im waiting for a new one to arrive.
anyway i thought i may as well take the opportunity the try out a new OS..

so Linux seems the obvious choice ... ive been looking around on the net and it seems very confusing

i stupidly thought it was just a straight fwd .... Linux .. but clearly im wrong lol

anyways yea when lookin for my next OS what do you guys recommend?

i would ideally like a version with a good user base and with plenty of compatibility as its gonna end up being a server

thanks

Linux Environments / Kernels

what kind of server; eg webserver, file sever, email, LDAP ....

for fun without the need to install, I like Knoppix which will boot straight from the CD.
This is the CLIENT system however, not a server edition. In addition, there are no
packages for adding any server components (Redhat,Suse,Fedoria use RPM packages).

comments on Linux Desktop Systems

Server components include
Apache, php, mysql, perl, sendmail, ldap, ssl, DNS, DHCP​

It is important to watch the level of the kernel used in your Linux, as that
predicts the services and support you may expect.
(insist upon 2.4 or later)

Fedoria Has server components or can be downloaded
Knoppix
Mandrake (Mandriva) Linux kernel 2.6.12-12mdk
Suse Has server components or can be downloaded
Ubuntu

He could mean a file server and if I were you I'd go with what has the most support and answers, Ubuntu (or Kubuntu/Xubuntu).

I run a freespire file/print server. I really did not have to configure much and what I did configure was easy (like setting up a printer or installing Adobe Acrobat, etc.)

thansk again for your replies and advice

yea im only gonna be using it for a basic file/print server and maybe something for LAN games etc

you mention Ubuntu Kubuntu Xubuntu

whats the difference between them? xubuntu .. isnt that a "lite" version of the OS?

thanks again in advance

I used Kubuntu for a while as I used to be a big KDE fan. But for nearly a year now I've been using standard Ubuntu with gnome and prefer it to Kubuntu. If you have an older system Xubuntu is your best bet as it uses the Xfce desktop which is lighter than gnome and far lighter than KDE.

It is quite easy to install the other desktops to your Ubuntu install by doing:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Or

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

If you're already running one of those two:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Will install gnome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back