Liquid metal beads can automagically repair electronic circuits

By Matthew
Dec 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. In an age of highly integrated systems, it's become more practical for consumers to discard faulty devices than repair them. Often times, you can't fix a component on the fritz…

Read the whole story
  2. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Booster Posts: 209   +30

Remember those Star Trek episodes where they shine a light from some small gadget on some circuit boards and are supposedly repairing the damage, well I guess this is sort of like that.
  3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Science Fix tion... Don't expect to fix a lot of these on your card table workbench at home.
  4. I have fixed many of my electronics....from my old cellphone to my ps3.

In both cases I used a heat gun to heat up the circuit board and that melts most the the metal (faulty connections) and it re-solders the joints/connections. Fixing my own stuff has saved me hundreds of dollars.
  5. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 990   +90

I'm curious how this would work with the inside layers of multilayer boards.
  6. very naice how much?
  7. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,428   +472

Good for you! Keep up your good work.

For the rest of us mortals that have no idea about electronics or electrics for that matter have to cope with the idea of wasting precious money into saving our existing pieces of crap.
  8. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

And since it's liquid, it works great until you turn the device upside down and it all runs off, right?
  9. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 828   +17

I have read you can fix some graphics cards (specifically it was the geforce 8800 and 9800 series) by running them through the oven at ~400 F for a few minutes and accomplish the same thing. I have a 9800GT I have been meaning to do that with.
  10. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,428   +472

Are you kidding me? when the beads are broken the liquid comes out, things that are made to be vertical or horizontal or whichever way they are made are made that way for a reason, this would be hard proof of that, if it breaks while turned upside down it is a small micro bead. How much liquid could come out of it? No idea
  11. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,937   +157

Resistance is futile.