Live action Street Fighter series needs your help via Kickstarter

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A webseries for the popular Street Fighter franchise (with Capcom’s blessing, we might add) is vying for your dollars via Kickstarter. Joey Ansah, the director, writer and creative force behind Street Fighter: Legacy and Christopher Howard need roughly $950,000 to produce a prequel series they are calling Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist.

Street Fighter: Legacy was produced and released nearly three years ago via YouTube as a proof of concept to show what a live action version of Street Fighter could look like if done right. The response was solid with over eight million collective views and a 98.7 percent approval rating. In the event that you missed Legacy, it can be viewed by clicking here.

Ansah points out that Assassin’s Fist has been in development for almost three years. The team purchased the option from Capcom last year with plans to fund the film via independent investment. They were able to raise some of the money needed but given the current state of the economy, they have no choice but to reach out and ask for help from fans.

If the campaign isn’t successful, the team said they risk losing the financing they have already secured which would push back production into next year. Ansah said they have had offers from the movie industry to finance the project but it would come with requirements that would compromise the vision of the project.

Pledge tiers start at just $15 which includes access to an exclusive production blog to follow all of the latest news from the film’s set. As of writing, the campaign has raised £3,343 of the needed £625,000 goal with 25 days to go.

Permalink to story.

I clicked the link.... I have to say that was pretty terrible and I am a huge street fighter fan. If they can't even match the 90's film mortal kombat whats the point?

I clicked the link.... I have to say that was pretty terrible and I am a huge street fighter fan. If they can't even match the 90's film mortal kombat whats the point?

I thought it was pretty great, given proper funding I think fans would make a fantastic film with all the back story and nods to the various games throughout the years. No more jean claude van dam playing guile please.

It isn't a movie, it's going to be a free webseries. Also, it looks really good so far.

Back