"Load needed DLL's for Kernel"

Acemoose

I have a Sony VAIO Desktop -- PCV-RS220 -- (Windows XP-Home OS) I bought it brand new in 2004 - worked like a champ -- but a systems friend recently added a 250GB and a 60GB HD to it -- it originally came with just a 120 Gb HD)

3 months after the new HD's were installed, it started to act up -- slow to load, parts of the window display missing -- I did a CHkDisk with corrections on C:/ -- after which, when I tried to Restart it -- the computer just died on me.

Just before it died, I got The Blue Screen that told me "Windows Could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as:"Load needed DLL's for Kernel". I tried starting it again and nothing happened.

I bought a refurbished power Module- installed it, and the computer starts up now. But again, I get the same message -
"Windows Could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as:"Load needed DLL's for Kernel".

I have very important data on both hard drives -- and although much of it is on my portable HD -- there is still alot on the Sony puter that I still need.

How can I remedy this problem? Can I install a fresh "Windows XP Home" OS on this comptuer-- and if I do-- will it WIPE OUT all my data?

1) first; protect / capture [*] that important data regardless of if the system will boot.

2) Then, once` the data is safe, you can play with getting the system productive again.

[*] Get a CD from Knoppix which will boot Linux directly from the CD w/o an install. It will give you access the the HD and other external USB drives.

Mount an external USB drive, boot Knoppix, and copy the critical files to the external drive.
Now it's safe to play at (2) all day long :)

just because it boots directly from the CD and can access your HD

use anything that works imo

Back