Loaded XP, now no Internet

well, I have a desktop computer that I got from work.

I formatted and it is an re-installed XP service pack 2. Now I cannot see the second harddrive and I also cannot connect to the internet. It looks like the network card is not there but it is an integrated one. I am not too terchnical with this stuff but could use your help. I am re-loading XP again to see if I missed a step,

Is the hard drives got the same manufacturer if so you will only see one.

As for the connection to the Internet you may need the drivers for the network card also check in device manager to see everything is working.

Since it doesnt relate to the no internet issue its irrelevant. I'm only clarifying so anyone that browses the forum will not be misinformed......

In device manager disk drives regardless of the brand are gALL rouped together in an effort to organize the hardware list. Regardless of the manufacturer of the HDD, your MS operating system will see the physical disk independantly and not group it together. the exception to this is certain types of raid storage which is not the case with this issue. the system can detect the drive as generic and it work just fine regarless of the brand so the information you read on another forum may have been incorrect as well.

Since it doesnt relate to the no internet issue its irrelevant. I'm only clarifying so anyone that browses the forum will not be misinformed......

In device manager disk drives regardless of the brand are gALL rouped together in an effort to organize the hardware list. Regardless of the manufacturer of the HDD, your MS operating system will see the physical disk independantly and not group it together. the exception to this is certain types of raid storage which is not the case with this issue. the system can detect the drive as generic and it work just fine regarless of the brand so the information you read on another forum may have been incorrect as well.

Ok, I played around some more (re-installed XP for the 5th time!) and now see both harddrives. I still cannot see any network adaptors. Under the C Drive and hardware devices there is a big Yellow ? on "Other devices, Ethernet Connections and Multimedia Audio Controller"
Before I re-installed XP this all worked. How can I determine the make of the Network adaptor to try and find the missing drivers. I assume that is what I need to get this going. This is a home grown PC and I don't have much info. My IT guy at work won't help becuase these were sold as is...

Before I re-installed XP this all worked.
XP includes some generic drivers (e.g. for IDE disks and USB keyboard/mice and disks) but XP doesn't include drivers for many devices (as often the case and you find for you Network and Audio). See [post=926364]How to backup your drivers (and reinstall them later if and when needed!)[/post]
Under the C Drive and hardware devices there is a big Yellow ? on "Other devices, Ethernet Connections and Multimedia Audio Controller"
These are all devices either missing drivers or with drivers that won't load
How can I determine the make of the Network adaptor to try and find the missing drivers.
1. Have you installed the chipset drivers yet? Do you at least know your mother board? and checked the vendor site for chipset or other drivers?
2. Do the following. The info might let me figure out your network adapter

List Problem Devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

Copy/paste all those cryptic strings to a flash drive or something so you can post them on here as i need to see exactly what appears​

Ethernet Controller PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_13\4&1F7DBC9F&0&48F0 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Multimedia Audio Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_A0021458&REV_02\3&13C0B0C5&0&FD The drivers for this device are not installed.

Kinda out of sinc but I hope you get the drift. I downloaded a software called Hardware helper and ran it. It told me Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controler drivers are out of date. I have been googling that now looking for a fix.

Hope you can help me...

Thanks

My best guess is your ethernet controller is Marvell Yukon 88E8001 Gigabit Controller. Try downloading the driver for the 88E8001 from the Marvel Yukon support site for your machine / OS

P.S. Just fyi..

Those cryptic strings are called "Hardware IDs". Windows uses them, itself, to find drivers for a device

Easiest method to first try to figure out those cryptic strings is Unknown Device tool

You can run it to first see if it IDs it for you OR you click Help->Lookup Hardware ID then you could copy/paste in Ethernet controler's ID
Code:
PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_13\4&1F7DBC9F&0&48F0

If Googling (I Google first, then use Yahoo when checking Hardware IDs) one would try searching on the full string then dropping terms (going from right to left) terms.

So i would've searched on each string below in the following order

First try searching on
Code:
PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_13\4&1F7DBC9F&0&48F0

If not matches or no help, then try
Code:
PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_13

If still no help, i would try
Code:
PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_E0001458

That's the shortest string that could possibly work for PCI devices as you need the VEN (vendor) and SUBSYS (subsystem) at minimum to figure out a PCI device

/* edit */
Ooops. Minimum string for a PCI device also requires DEV (device) as one of the string search terms. So shortest string you could've tried searching to identify the network device if you needed to google was PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_E0001458

Well, holy crap was that painful but at least I found it and now can connect to the internet. Between you (lookingaround) and that hardware helper I downloaded I finally got this fixed...

Thanks Bud!

Good News! :grinthumb

Now that you're connected, you can also try DriverEasy to locate drivers for you (P.S. It will use the cryptic Hardware IDs itself to go searching!)

Thanks!

Right now I am loading my Anti Virus stuff then I can start downloading stuff and transferring from my Old PC.

Back