Loading 1 file onto 100 usb drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am needing to load one file onto close to a hundred usb drives for work and I am wondering what would be the fastes route to do this. I was thinking a .bat file that would auto copy the file onto the drive something along the lines of the xcopy /? command. Also would an autorun.inf file be better?

I am rather unexperienced with this sort of stuff so any help would be great.

No need for even a batch file.

open run, type cmd.exe

a Dos box appears (if you are on XP, not quite sure what happens in Vista, but you basically want to be running a command line)

Type

copy C:\somedir\sonesubdir\nameoffile.ver F:

and press enter
Now obviously you need to substitute in the above for the file and it's path, and the drive letter of the USB drives you plug into that PC, which may be something other than F: - thats just the most common with a PC having a single HDD and a two optical drives.

After the USB light stops flashing, give it an extra second or two, take the usb drive out and plug the next in. Press F3 which repeats the command above, and press enter again

over and over....there is no quicker way. You do NOT need to 'safe unload' a USB drive, but you do need to avoid unplugging it while it is still receiving data.

Type

copy C:\somedir\sonesubdir\nameoffile.ver F:

and press enter

This works, but if you create a batch file, it's as quick as the click of a mouse button rather than typing that command 100 times...
Just create a txt document, which will look like the suggestion above by gbhall more or less, save it, rename it to "usb.bat" and then click on it everytime you insert the flashdrive.:)
Someone experienced could have that batch file start automatically when the usb drive is inserted...:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back