By St1ckM4n
Oct 8, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all,

Let's say for example, that I have various wireless routers configured as APs. A network scan reveals them, but they do not respond to ping. As such, they also do not respond to me putting the IP into a browser.

Is there any way I can find the management port of the routers - short of resetting to factory default?
  2. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

They probably won't respond unless you are behind the firewall instead of in front of it.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,018   +220

Sorry, but these are not related.
    PING is a protocol and that is different than opening an IP address on a specific port.

If you are running within the routers subnet, then most will respond to HTTP on its own address ie: the router itself).
    If not, then you can't access the router itself, but must use the Remote Management facility on the hidden port.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,018   +220

Obviously, there's a reason you don't want to allow
    and strange as it may seem, there are bad default configurations which have this port exposed and
    remote mgmt active - - clearly a security issue.

If a router goes haywire, the assumptions should be:
    1. remote mgmt might have been open long enough
    2. to allow firmware replacement by a hacker
    solution is to:
    • reset the router
    • reset the password
    • reload the proper firmware
    • turn off remote mgmt

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.