Logging files accessed on WD My Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noam

First of all, I hope I'm posting this in the right forum... It seemed like the most fitting.

A little background... you can skip right to the question if you get bored.

I have a Western Digital WD TV Live media streamer hooked up to my TV which gets its content from 2 1TB WD My Book hard drives.
I have movies on these drives, some of which are rated PG-13 and R. The problem with that is my kids. Needless to say, I don't want them watching any of them while I'm not around.

At first I thought of password-protecting certain folders/files I don't want them touching, but after searching far and wide I couldn't find a password-protecting feature for my WDLXTV'd (modded) streamer.
So I though, if I can't restrict access, I can at least LOG it so that I can confront them about it.

My question...
Is it possible to log all of the files accessed on my hard drives. All I really need is a small text file in the root that'll tell me which files were opened by something/someone.
I'm not sure if this is possible using my current setup, but if it is, how so?

Also, just a side-note, I'm not looking for any advice on how to raise my children, so please save anything that isn't tech-related to yourself.

Cheers! :)

first off well done for protecting your kids from harmful films..

now to your question, im not familiar with the model of unit your using but if with a good google you cant find the answer then the only one i can think of is to remove any films from them that arent suitable and maybe stick them onto your pc or laptop, and set this up to stream to your media player, on your pc or laptop you have a greater control over the files as windows has file protection suitable for this kind of scenario.

i know its not the answer your looking for but im usually good at providing alternative solutions to problems.

Your solution is definitely creative and doable, but I was hoping for something a little different. But I thank you nonetheless, good sir!
Hopefully one of the WDTV developers will find a way to password-protect directories in the near future.
Cheers!

Not certain on your system, but Win/XP has an audit feature attached to the security of NTFS.

Using an Admin login, navigate to the folder that contains the data or subfolders to be audited; now back up one level (ie the Parent directory)

Right-click on the subfolder of interest -> Properties -> Security Tab
click on the Advanced button near the bottom whicl will show the Aduting Tab

now for the fun part; How to configure and view the Audit logs

google for "windows xp audit logs" for some ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back