Logitech announces Harmony Ultimate and Smart Control bundles

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Logitech recently announced the expansion of their Harmony remote division with the Harmony Ultimate and the Harmony Smart Control despite announcing plans earlier this year to sell the entire division. Both devices feature Logitech’s Harmony Hub and Harmony Smartphone App to delivery seamless integration with your existing home theater and gaming consoles.

The new hub device converts the RF commands from the remote into IR commands utilized by televisions, stereo receivers and Blu-ray players. The technology allows the remote to work though walls or in the case of a home theater setup, through closed cabinet doors. Furthermore, the hub supports Bluetooth which means you can power up and control a PS3, Wii or Wii U without picking up the console’s control – perfect for streaming Netflix.

The hub also supports the latest version of the Harmony Smartphone App for Android and iOS devices. The app allows you to control your components just as you would with a Harmony remote and vice versa. For example, if you are controlling your setup from an iPad but someone else wants to use it, you can pick right up where you left off on the Ultimate remote or an iPhone.

If you already own Logitech’s Harmony Touch, you’ll be happy to know that it is fully compatible with the new hub.

The Harmony Ultimate package contains the Ultimate remote as well as the Harmony Hub for $349.99 while the Harmony Smart Control bundle contains the same hub and a simpler remote priced at $129.99. Both kits are expected to ship later this month or early next month, we’re told.

Permalink to story.

Ok where I can see that this is really cool and will most likely sell very well. Doesnt it seem odd that they are making us so "connected" that ppl wont even move anymore. Because there will be a app for it............
Take the easiest to point out. Your TV remote control. Most ppl if the batteries run out on their remote, wont even move the 5 ft to change the channel. Now I grew up in the time when cable was just getting its foothold into the American household. Back then, if the channel needed to be changed, you got up and changed it. If you wanted the TV louder, you got up and changed it. Mainly because the remote controls of that day and age were clunky 5 button "clickers".
I use this example to show how the advancment of tech has more then turned the American populus into couch potatoes. They have turned Americans into Zombies. Dead things that dont move. Next thing you know there will be automated servants and you only have to flick a finger and a robot brings you a sandwich.

I'll be in for the Smart Control. Ultimate is more than I think I'd need and that touch screen didn't look terribly responsive in the video anyway.

Ok where I can see that this is really cool and will most likely sell very well. Doesnt it seem odd that they are making us so "connected" that ppl wont even move anymore. Because there will be a app for it............
Take the easiest to point out. Your TV remote control. Most ppl if the batteries run out on their remote, wont even move the 5 ft to change the channel. Now I grew up in the time when cable was just getting its foothold into the American household. Back then, if the channel needed to be changed, you got up and changed it. If you wanted the TV louder, you got up and changed it. Mainly because the remote controls of that day and age were clunky 5 button "clickers".
I use this example to show how the advancment of tech has more then turned the American populus into couch potatoes. They have turned Americans into Zombies. Dead things that dont move. Next thing you know there will be automated servants and you only have to flick a finger and a robot brings you a sandwich.

Ha, you're more right than you know. With these high-end harmony remotes you can even get them to control your lightning, so you won't even have to get up to dim the lights. And since you'll already be holding your smartphone, you can just text someone in the next room to bring you a sandwich. No need for a robot yet. :)

I only thought their tablet-like remote was cool when I Saw it in movies. This industry is just so small, it isnt worth keeping. I would sell this devision to LG or Samsung, who already have great remotes, but can implement this tech.

$350 for a RF to IR converter and universal remote? Hmmm pretty steep. Idea is nice but just can't see how it is worth $350.

Look at the lag in the Harmony Ultimate demo video. Come on. If this is the best Logitech is capable of doing with what was once a breakthrough product line, no wonder these remotes are doomed.

I have spend so much for these remotes and they work then fail to work then work then fail to work. So all they do gather dust. Yes Android tablets and smartphones can control your HDTV. I've gone all SONY BRAVIA here so these Harmony remotes don't work with SONY gear, so right to me just nonsense for me to spend more on the end results will be the same. Null. SONY HDTV remotes can control all their gear under BRAVIA line from 7.1 True HD Surround System, BD, SMPN100/SMPN200 again no issues doing so.

Own:
2x 600
1x 650
1x 700

That's it for me...

I have no problems using my Harmony on my Bravia TVs. Not sure if that's all you're trying to control from Sony, but I think TVs work just fine unless your model is an issue.

I've gone all SONY BRAVIA here so these Harmony remotes don't work with SONY gear

Own:
1 x Sony KDL-46X2000
1 x Sony STR-DH820
1 x Logitech Harmony Remote

No problems with it controlling the current AV receiver or the old TV.

I'll be in for the Smart Control. Ultimate is more than I think I'd need and that touch screen didn't look terribly responsive in the video anyway.
I recently grabbed an offer on Amazon for a reduced price Harmony Touch which is the Ultimate minus vibration and slightly different styled grip, maybe something else, will investigate. Touch screen is perfectly responsive, had no issues with it. So either the Ultimate in the video is using newer firmware or something. No idea why they'd release a video with it looking so laggy/slow to respond. Wasn't sure about the touch screen part but it means if you want to use a some very specific infrequently accessed option for a device it can be listed on the touch screen and you don't have to remember that "Subtitle" button changes an unrelated option for one device. All in all I'm happy with this and have a second hand PS3 adapter in the post so I can control PS3 for Bluray and streaming from it too. Can finally hide away all the device remotes and not have to dig them out to change something that isn't accessible on the universal remote.

Own:
1 x Sony KDL-46X2000
1 x Sony STR-DH820
1 x Logitech Harmony Remote

No problems with it controlling the current AV receiver or the old TV.

This is my setup those with the XX have been tried. Not all hardware are supported but the ones marked with Hxxx were on working then they didn't remember the macro that were sent via Logitech. Issues I ran into turn on devices not all would turn on and some the devices had to be manually skip to inputs. I found other ways to get the job done.
SONY BRAVIA remotes control they SONY devices better. the Wii with the H600 really didn't do anything like it was never supported.

LBR - H700
[FONT=Tahoma]HDTV SONY KDL-46EX400[/FONT]​
[FONT=Tahoma]SONY BDP-S270[/FONT]​
[FONT=Tahoma]SONY STR-DH520[/FONT]​
[FONT=Tahoma]SONY SMP-N100[/FONT]​
[FONT=Tahoma]SONY SMP-N200[/FONT]​
[FONT=Tahoma]WII (BLACK)[/FONT]​
[FONT=Tahoma]TOSHIBA THRIVE HDMI[/FONT]​
[FONT=Tahoma]ACER/GATEWAY NE SERIES HDMI[/FONT]​
[FONT=Tahoma]ACER/GATEWAY DX-4900 HDMI[/FONT]​
[FONT=Tahoma]MBR - H650[/FONT]​
[FONT=Tahoma]HDTV SONY KDL-40BX420[/FONT]​
[FONT=Tahoma]SONY STR-DH520[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]SONY BDP-S270[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]SONY SMP-N100[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]SONY SMP-N200[/FONT]
TOSHIBA THRIVE HDMI
[FONT=Tahoma]ACER/GATEWAY NV SERIES HDMI[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]ACER/GATEWAY DX-4900 HDMI[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]GBR - H600[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]HDTV Element Electronics 32XXX[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]SKYTEX SKPAD ALPHA2 HDMI[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]HO/SOHO - HXXX[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]HDTV SONY XXXX[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]ACER/GATEWAY DX-4900 HDMI[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]COBY KYROS MID7042 HDMI[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]KIT- H600[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]HDTV VIZIO WHITE 22XXX[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]COBY KYROS MID7015A HDMI[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]PBR - H600[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]HDTV DYNEX[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]DXL24-10A[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]SMP-N100[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]SKYTEX SKYPAD ALPHA2 HDMI[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]Right now I only use one SONY remote with the SONY gear from SONY controls all the BRAVIA HDMI Sync but since using the SONY STR-DH Series that way using the HDMI Sync Comes out better giving me 4x HDMI inputs plus EX has 4x HDMI inputs. On the 3x Non-SONY HDTV with Harmony kind of limited controls or some don't work right. I gave up on use Harmony on those. SONY and Harmony don't play right too well. [/FONT]

Back