TechSpot

Logitech G500 vs MX518?

By jools182
Aug 20, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. After giving up with the intellimouse 3.0 I am now considering these two

The G500 has more features but its a laser mouse and I have heard optical (MX518) is better for gaming

anyone got any experience of these two mice?

2. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,672   +9

I've been using the Logitech MX 518 for about a month now. It's been a huge upgrade over the ordinary Logitech USB mouse I used before. It's very responsive and has very good tracking.

3. nissanman

nissanman TS Maniac Posts: 247

I recently bought the MX518. I cant compare it to the G500 because i have never used that mouse. But this MX518 is very nice indeed. So much better then my old mouse.

Id recommend this mouse to anyone.

4. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,268   +92

I have the G5 (predecessor to the G500 I believe) and the MX518 here. The G5/G500 is worth the few extra bucks if you have it. The shell has somewhat of a matte grainy texture that feels like it's of a better quality than the MX518, which is kind of glossy/plasticky. The G5/G500 is also easier to grip in my opinion.

Extra buttons aside, the G5/G500 ships with a customizable weight cartridge, and putting a little weight in the device adds to the robust feel. Performance-wise, I'd say they're pretty much identical to me, it's just the surface features that change the experience. :) Both are awesome, and I can comfortable recommend either.

5. Tanlic

Tanlic TS Rookie Posts: 47

Bit off the subject but I'm looking to buy a new mouse but want one I can lock the Axis on. In otherwords the mouse has the facility to travel horizintally or if you prefer vertically without going off a staright line.

Do either of these have that facility?

6. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,268   +92

As a native hardware function? Not that I'm aware of. SetPoint (Logitech's driver/software) might offer something like that, but I haven't checked it out in many years so I can't say offhand.