Logitech reveals plans to jettison Harmony remote control division

By Shawn Knight
Jan 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Logitech has revealed plans to jettison their Harmony remote control and digital video security divisions. The news comes directly from newly appointed CEO Bracken P Darrell follow disappointing fiscal third quarter results.

Read more
  2. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TechSpot Maniac Posts: 488   +10

Good riddens. I always found Logitech's remotes wanting. They seem way too expensive given the limits that are place on them. Some costing more than 300 bucks are still limited in how many devices they can control. I understand it is a niche market, but they did nothing to really innovate just like the phone manufacturers waited until Apple came along. In this case it might have been the smartphones eating at this market.

Id still like to see a good universal remote with IR, RF abilities that support almost unlimited devices.
  3. GunsAblazin

GunsAblazin Newcomer, in training Posts: 74

Bad move by Logitech; that market is poised for growth in 2013 with home automation and electronics becoming integrated and all.
  4. AccordXTC

AccordXTC Newcomer, in training

LOL you think Harmony remotes are expensive you my friend need to look around more. Maybe URC (Universal Remote Control) would be a better choice say the MX-1200 for a retail price of $999.00 not including the RF base station. Remember when you say comments like that reflecting your wallet that others don't mind paying those prices with their wallets

Lionvibez likes this.
  5. s0urce

s0urce Newcomer, in training

What a shame, I really enjoy the harmony line of remotes.
  6. supertech

supertech TechSpot Member Posts: 80   +9

I love my harmony remote!!!
  7. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,273   +258

I really like the Harmony remotes as well. Hope someone decent picks those up.
  8. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 528   +76

lol agreed!

Of of my friends owns a Tv installation business and he sells $1000 remotes he doesn't even look at $300 logitech harmony remotes!
  9. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 528   +76

Agreed I've been using a Harmony one for a few years now and love it. This saddens me!

I may have to grab the newest model they release before they are taken off the market.
  10. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,273   +258

I just wonder if myharmony.com is going to stick around...
  11. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TechSpot Maniac Posts: 488   +10

I apologize if I offened anyone... really. I was not trolling. :)

There is no doubt in my mind that their are people willing to pay for these, are happy with them, and yes I'm aware that prices for other products can be way more... I just personally did not see the value for me and have been frustrated waiting for something I would just love from their productline up. I did not stop to think about all the people that could be worried about the support of their current investment being cut off. So sorry for my jerk reaction (erhum... the pun was not intended.)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.