London hospital opens to Web-addicted "screenagers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

A hospital in London has initiated Britain's first dedicated technology addiction clinic, aimed at teens that can't break away from the Web, video games, or their phones. The service is open to children as young as 12, but is mostly aimed at 15 to 17-year-olds who find it difficult to shut off their computers and video games.

Richard Graham, a lead consultant for the facility, said some kids play online games for the social contact, and it "gives them a sense of connection so they end up playing all the time." "I've been contacted by parents who see their children going into a rage when they're told to turn off their computer," said Graham. "Some end up having to call the police."

The hospital hopes to transform "screenagers" back to "teenagers" by yanking them away from WoW and encouraging them to interact with people face-to-face. Similar operations have opened stateside in recent years, such as the reSTART Internet addiction clinic, conveniently positioned 13 miles away from Microsoft's Redmond headquarters.

Permalink to story.

it's been quite easy for me to get away from my computer lately with all the crap i've had to wade through :)

I got to admit, I procrastinated a lot when I'm on the computer. But I guess if worst comes to worst, I'll throw away my computer =(

PC or Online addiction has a very low withdrawal time frame. Just go to some vacation on your parents house, by the time you get back you have completely forgotten all about it.

If your 12 year old is addicted to their phone, the web, or video games, you need a parenting class and/or a swift kick to the gonads.

It's a serious problem and it's incredibly hard to get away from with the amount of technology and computers that are everywhere in day-to-day life.

This kind of clinic should have been opened a long time ago.
I always watch kids destroying their computers just because they died in a game or the internet went down on youtube. ^_^

Its funny... maybe... but I seriously consider the quality in a chick these days to be "how often is that phone in her face".

High time this condition is recognized as a serious addiction and treatment meted out similar to other addiction cures/rehabilitation. Its an ever growing serious problem worldwide thats not being paid enough attention.

I just saw a cartoon where the driver of a car had crashed through a guardrail and continued to text his accident as he plunged over the cliff ... I'm no where near that. A phone is for talking, thats all I want. I am somewhat attached to the PC though.

I guess a computer can be an addiction when you start neglecting all the other areas of your life, atm for me its a release from all those other areas...

If your 12 year old is addicted to their phone, the web, or video games, you need a parenting class and/or a swift kick to the gonads.

With peer pressure, the kids can really put up a fight.

I have had a bad year because my son felt the peer pressure.

How many parents are willing to be labelled as old fashioned or outdated ?

Wendig0 said:

I do agree but I have seen first hand with friends that when parents do that they call the police and get them fined or worse case, inprisoned as a child beater! i'm not joking. Its stupid over here in the UK.

Will they pay for a flight from San Antonio to London for my boyfriend- he needs to go ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back