Looking at a Gamestop Job Opportunity

greatman05

Hello everybody! I have some questions about a job opportunity at Gamestop:

1.) They have two positions that I have potential qualifications for: Keyholder and Game Advisor. Which one would a (almost) 16 yr. old with relatively little job experience have a better chance of acquiring?

2.) The application is really confusing me...If you don't mind, could you explain the parts after the Personal Data Section? (After they ask you for name, address, etc.)

3.) Do you, in your opinion, think that I could negotiate weekend-only hours for the school year?

4.) Is a resume required?

Thank you for any help that you provide. I'll attach the application if you want to help me with question #2...Again, thanks for any help that you can provide.

Attachments

• application.pdf
    56.8 KB · Views: 63
Not sure what you're looking for explanation wise, everything seems pretty straightforward on that application. Perhaps try and be a bit more specific as to what confuses you.

Unless there is a position you absolutely do/do not want, I'd just put "Any" or something comparable in the "Position Applied For" spot. You can talk about that more when you get called for an interview.

Most jobs like that are very flexible when making their schedule. Let them know when you're available to work and as long as it's possible they will probably squeeze you into the schedule on the days that you're available.

A resume is definitely not required for that type of job (especially if they're giving out applications), and they wouldn't really expect you to slap a resume together anyway at your age. A resume for you would be nothing more than your name, contact information, education level and maybe a few words about yourself or perhaps how you volunteer at the local animal shelter etc. That, essentially, is what the application is asking for anyway :).

After you toss the application in, give them 2-3 days to review it and then call to check up on it. Call on a weekday between like 10AM and 2PM because the manager is probably there and just say "hey, my name is (...your name here), I applied for a position at your store xyz days ago and I was curious if anyone has had the opportunity to take a look at it".

When you go in for the interview don't get all dressed up in my opinion, you're not applying for a position on Wall Street, just look presentable. Pass on your favorite baseball cap, no holes in your jeans etc :p. A clean polo with a nice pair of jeans is fine.

1) Game advisor
2) I must have missed the confusing part, they all look like common sense
3) A lot of college kids don't want to work weekends so yes.
4) You don't need a resume

Okay...you all have been REALLY helpful...thank you! :)

There's only one more question I want to ask: In the section where it says references, since I haven't worked yet, I know I have to select personal references. Considering that on the app that it says no relatives, does this mean that the only references I have are my teachers? (I know, stupid question, but I wanted to make sure...)

As far as personal references go - they can be anyone from your best pal to your teacher as long as they're within the companies requested guidelines (no relatives). :p To be honest, I'd be pretty damn shocked if they called references anyway. I can only recall a single time when references were called on me out of maybe 6 jobs that were on the same level.

For the references, consider neighbors and/or family friends that have known you for a long time. Should this company contact references, they will be most interested in your work ethic, dependability, moral character, etc., and these would be the type of people who could speak to that. Teachers usually are not the best pick for this type of reference, unless there is a specific educational requirement that they can speak to. (I have hired, trained, and managed hundreds of people, by the way...and I do make reference calls.)

Yeah...well, since most of the people I would consider family friends or neighbors don't know me at all, and my teachers know me better than my parents, I decided to go with one of my friends and one of my teachers...But still, thanks for the info! One more question: My birthday is coming up in 2 weeks (when I'll be 16 and of legal age to work full-time)...would I still be able to turn in the application before then?

greatman05 said:
would I still be able to turn in the application before then?

After reviewing the application form, i would suggest you either wait the two weeks or check with the company if you can post-date it. This is because you need to state you are at least 16 in that application form and sign and date it.

Back