Looking for a good free program to access and control any computer remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

skoscielak

I am looking for a good free program to access and control any computer remotely. I need to help a friend that is not in the same state as me.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

LogMe In (free version

Handles all the basic remote control you need and very easy to install.

Free version doesn't automated file transfers between machines. If you need file transfer between the two computers install FTP freeware (is what i do)

I'm Sure This is Well Meaning, But It's Pretty Scary Stuff....

Wow, this is potentially a "malware users convention".

not really -- business users or those working from home frequently need this.

in addition, the remote end is easily configured to control the access rights and unless the GUEST account is enabled (really dumb) and w/o a password (even dumber), it's not a viable means to attack a system.

<snip>
in addition, the remote end is easily configured to control the access rights and unless the GUEST account is enabled (really dumb) and w/o a password (even dumber), it's not a viable means to attack a system.
Absolutely, 1000% agree that Guest should be password protected. But actually "disabling" the Guest account can get tricky

1) Note that "disabling" Guest from User Accounts only prevents local Guest logon (not remote Guest logon)
2) As i recall, actually disabling Guest remote logon requires using the net command from a command prompt
3) But also be advised that "simple" file sharing maps everything through the Guest account.
> This means file sharing to a machine running XP Home would no longer work (XP Home only supports simple file shares using Guest)
> XP Pro and other Windows must be configured for not simple file sharing or f/s stops working as well

/* edit */
One might also see Description of the Guest account in Windows XP. And understand when they talk about problems with network resources if you turn off Guest they're really talking about problems with "simple file sharing"

/* edit */
Just to add: i just mean to note some of the gnarly detail involved for the user to truly "disable" guest but absolutely agree is still good to do if one can

"malware users convention". captaincranky, have actually used Putty, or the other two I listed, before?
This is not a sentence, it's verb seems to be in the reflexive, and therefore has no real subject. So, I would actually have to complete the sentence before I could answer. I don't read minds, so you're out of luck.

"malware users convention". captaincranky, have you actually used Putty, or the other two I listed, before?
Thanks for clarifying your original question, appreciated.

To answer, no I haven't, so I can't comment.

My participation in this thread is based on the original question, "I am looking for a good free program to access and control any computer remotely. I need to help a friend that is not in the same state as me."

Software such as this is capable of doing great good, but I'm guessing evil as well. That said, in a open forum such as this, it's difficult to know who's asking, and what their actual motives are.

There are a number of forbidden topics here at Techspot, such as "cracked" programs, laptop BIOS password recovery, illegal downloading, and some others.

So, when someone requests software such as the topic of this thread, one wonders what the actual use might be. I understand the stated purpose by the OP, but as I always point out, "I don't read minds, even on Tuesdays".

So, I just stated my concerns, perhaps not in the manner people think I should have. Oh,well!

If others wish to help, and the moderators think the topic should go forward, hey, who am I to say different.

Be aware though, the password cracker "Ophcrack" caused quite a lively and contentious discussion, along the same vein last year.

That boiled down to exactly what I said, you had to know who was going to use it, and what they would do with it. That said participants in this thread came down on the side of ending the topic.

Perhaps this is a bit different, IDK.
not really -- business users or those working from home frequently need this.

I would say this jobeard, "I thought that either "dumb" or "dumber" were the average user's name".

Absolutely, 1000% agree that Guest should be password protected. But actually "disabling" the Guest account can get tricky
You are correct in that DISABLE applies to console login AND Guest is the default access for simple file sharing -- which is why it REALLY needs the password :)

While we're going down this path, the Win default FW is too limited to restrict access to file shares for only the local subnet, so [x] enable Print/File sharing will expose you to anything that can access ports 139,445. Behide your own router you should be good, but God bless you if you leave it active at some Hotspot!

This is an example of why we needed 3rd party FWs. (btw win/7 has corrected this problem :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back