Looking for a new AMD heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new heatsink/fan for my phenom II 955. I originally purchased the Xigmatek Dark Knight but I think it's going to cover 2 DIMM slots on my mobo so I'm looking for something else instead. I've checked around on the forums and on different websites for different heatsinks but I'm curious as to what others on here would suggest.

What RAM and motherboard do you have? The Xigmatek might cover 2 RAM slots but depending on your memory you might still have enough clearance to install modules in them. (They have to be installed before the HSF is fixed.) The Dark Knight is a very good cooler.

In case that doesn't work you might try out the OCZ Vendetta II. I have it installed on an ASUS M4A78T-E mobo with the X3 720. It covers my first DIMM slot but I still can use ut as I installed the HSF with the RAM in in its place.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll be using the Asus Crosshair III Formula. it's in my computer specs on my profile. I haven't ordered it yet, nor have I ordered any memory. I'm still looking for some memory that could fit underneath the heatsink.

The bottom-most fin of the Xigmatek Dark Knight is 35mm above the base. So you'll have to check your RAM module height. I suggest you buy the HSF after getting all your other components ready.

The OCZ Vendetta 2 has a clearance of 41mm while that of the Xigmatek S1283 (the one recommended by red, who happens to be my HSF Guru :D) is 35mm again.

i like the vendetta 2 imo its great and offers a little more clearance. but there all great HSF.

I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black in one of my PCs and I use an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro. While the fan cage does overhang the two nearest RAM slots, it does clear the RAM modules. I'm using a Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard with Crucial Ballistix Tracer RAM but as long as you don't get RAM with tall heatsinks, you should be fine. The fan cage snaps off and on easily anyway so if you have to get to the RAM, it's no problem. No tools required.

I know that this thread is a bit old now but if anyone is looking for a great aftermarket HSF for their AMD cpu I can't recommend the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer enough. I just installed mine a couple days ago and the difference between it and the stock unit is remarkable. I have 2 comps in a small, poorly ventilated room that is hot in the summer and warm in the winter..........not ideal conditions for air cooling but I have no choice. With the stock HSF my 955 BE (stock frequency) was idling between 38-44°C and at full load was 50-56°C.........far too hot for my tastes. Immediately after installing the CCF idle temps dropped to 30-34°C and the highest I have seen at full load is 48.5°C and that was during a very warm afternoon yesterday. I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

On a side note, there seems to be a lot of negative reviews on Newegg about the install process. I even read one "professional" review online that said it was impossible to mount this cooler on AM2+/AM3 sockets. That is complete misinformation. I bought this cooler specifically because it does not require the removal of the motherboard and seemed to cool very well. I found the installation to be extremely user friendly and I have no idea why so many of these people are having issues unless they have a very small case. Some also complain of the fan being noisy. I can't even hear the thing at low setting and it's barely audible at it's highest so again, take all of that with a grain of salt. It does cover a couple of DIMM's on my MB but with the fan removed they are completely accessible, that process is also very easy. I think for the money spent you just can't beat the CCF and the fact that it will install with the factory mounting hardware makes it that much more appealing.

My specs are above but I'll list the main ones regarding install:
AMD 955 BE
Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
4x2GB A-DATA DDR3 RAM (2 w/heatspreaders, 2 without)
Azza Orion 201 case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back