TechSpot

Looking for a new network adapter/card

By PiNOYBOi
Mar 26, 2009
  1. I just recently built a somewhat budget gaming computer but what's holding me back is that it's not directly connected to the modem/router in my house so I have to use this crappy network adapter I have. It's super old, overheats while I'm downloading files, the overheating results in disconnects, and the wire is sensitive to where if I move it a lil' it can turn off/disconnect.

First of all I would like to know what you would suggest, a network card or network adapter. Although I have a GTX 260 in my rig I sitll have open slots for a network card if that's the way I should go. Once we have that figured out, what kind would you guys suggest? I want something that's of good quality but not too steep of a price either. Fast speed and will also last me a long time! Thanks!

2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

Network cards arn't that useful, work on your connection, modem, and router.

3. PiNOYBOi

PiNOYBOi TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well the modem and router are in a different room in my house and I kinda didn't want to have to use a 50 foot ethernet cable and cable manage that so that it isn't so messy. I would rather go wireless so I was wondering if I should go with a network card or network adapter and which kind to get.

4. NetCablesPlus

NetCablesPlus TS Maniac Posts: 228

Hi, I hate to belabor a point, but you will be much, much better off if you go hardwired, especially for gaming. Messy or not, an Ethernet cable will give you much better performance.

5. PiNOYBOi

PiNOYBOi TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah trust me, I REALLY wanna just go wired but it's going to take a while to get it managed good with how busy I am and all. But just say I had NO CHOICE but to go wireless, what would you guys do, network card or adapter and what kind?

6. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

I've never used wireless, so the only advice I have is descreet network cards are not very useful, standard motherboard network systems should be fine.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.