TechSpot

Looking for a new PCI or USB Wi-Fi card

By ajross
Jan 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello all,

I own a desktop computer that I bought from Dell a little while back, and recently snapped one of two "antennas" on the outside of the computer attached to the WiFi card inside. Unfortunately now, I can only muster 2 of 5 bars of signal over our wireless network...

Yesterday, I purchased a NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band USB adapter, and it isn't working with our network -- it takes forever to "connect" and then fails before I can connect. We have Verizon-based modem, and I believe we are bridging it with our Cisco E3000 Router. I know that there is nothing wrong with the network; several other devices are connected and working just fine. I also can still connect wtih my PCI card inside with only one antenna.

Should I keep and troubleshoot with the NETGEAR adapter?
    Also, I would like know a few fast and reliable PCI cards and where to get them...
    I would honestly rather have a PCI card than this NETGEAR adapter; it was only a temporary fix.

Thanks in advance!
    A
  2. Buckshot420

Buckshot420 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 467

Is a wired connection not an option? I'd go with a PCI card unless it's just browsing websites and emails, USB is fine for this. Not sure were you are located but I like this type of antenna. What OS are you using? I don't think this is compatible with Win 7 but there are many options. I would need to know more...location, OS, are you playing games wireless, etc...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166020

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.