Looking for a new router

Ectech

Hi,

I was looking to buy a new router. Can anyone suggest something with good range? And hopefully not to pricey?

Maybe $49 - $89 range. More importantly it must have an option to be used as an access point. I've seen some Netgear models which have what I want but I can't remember which model.

Well the amped wireless one I have can be bought for around 89-100 bucks at amazon...it's the r10000....

but netgear is ok for that price range, however they started to use internal antennas that don't have as good range as my wgr614 does (that has an external) :( that was not a very good decision and un-fortunatly most of the networking hardware companies are going that route :( too many people concerned with how the router looks but then complaining they can't watch youtube videos by the pool :(

The router you mention seems like a great option. Thanks for the feedback. I still need the option to enter access point mode though.

I know for sure I can get a wrt54g and throw dd-wrt on it but I'd rather go with something a bit newer.

I think you could turn it into one.... a few others have... I don't wanna mess with mine at the moment....

If you get it I hope it works out for yah!! :D

TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n, IEEE 802.3/3u/3ab N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
68.99$ free shipping

BUFFALO WZR-600DHP AirStation HighPower N600 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router
74.99$ free shipping

Western Digital My Net N600 HD Dual-Band Router - 5x Ports, 10/100 Ethernet, 300 + 300 Mbps, USB, Dual-Band, 2.4/5 GHz WDBEAV0000NWT-HESN
58.99$ free shipping

ASUS RT-N53 Black Diamond Dual Band Wireless N600 SOHO Router, DD-WRT Open Source support, Fast Ethernet, 5 Guest SSID, Parental Access Time control to Each User
57.99$ with 10$rebate; free shipping

Edimax BR-6475nD N600 802.11a/b/g/n Concurrent Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless iQ Router, Supports 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Concurrently with 4 Gigabit high speed Ethernet ports, Ideal Cost-Efficiency Router for
59.99$ free shipping

75-100$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&N=100010076 4027&IsNodeId=1&name=$75 - $100

Be cautious; FEW routers will configure as an access point - - most only support infrastructure mode.
If "FEW routers will configure as an access point" doesn't make any sense to you, then you will not miss anything by using the following suggestion.

Just known that, by disabling the DHCP service and leaving the WAN side connection empty, every WiFi router will act as a wireless addition to your existing router.

misor Thanks for your submission.

Just known that, by disabling the DHCP service and leaving the WAN side connection empty, every WiFi router will act as a wireless addition to your existing router.

That's a good point, I have read this somewhere before but never actually tried it. Surprisingly the router I currently have supports Access Point mode.

Maybe $49 - $89 range. More importantly it must have an option to be used as an access point. I've seen some Netgear models which have what I want but I can't remember which model.
Try [FONT=Helvetica Neue]ASUS RT-N56U, $99.99, it has great reviews[/FONT]

Try [FONT=Helvetica Neue]ASUS RT-N56U, $99.99, it has great reviews[/FONT]

I was able to grab a Linksys WRT54GL on Newegg for only $49.99. I think it should be able to handle my needs. :)

Back