Looking for a step by step to network XP and Windows 7 machines

Fjordman1995

We have a desktop with xp and 2 laptops with windows 7 home premium. The xp machine is connected to dsl and a 4 in1 printer. A linksys router connects to the laptops. I have tried several times ( maybe too many ) to set up this home network.

I would like to let them share files and the printer. The best I have managed is that the xp machine can see all 3 in the workgroup under my network places. A login window comes up for laptop #2 but #1 brings up an error message stating that it is not accessable and the network path was not found.

The windows 7 machines both see each other, but neither sees the xp machine.

I would like to start all over to connect them. Is there a good step by step description of the procedure for this?

Thanks for your time,

Warren

First, the XP systems need to have SP3 to enable Win7 to find and share with them.
This will install a few new services like Link-Layer Discovery - - be sure that is left AUTOSTART.

Second, make sure all systems have the same WORKGROUP name;
XP and Win7 have different defaults, so change one to match the other.

Third enable print/file sharing on all systems. This will open the Windows Firewall ports required.
If you have a third party firewall, then here are the generic rules:
assuming your router address is 192.168.1.1 (the important part is in bold) then
  • allow in tcp/udp source=192.168.1.* ports=137,137,139,445
  • allow out tcp/udp destination=192.168.1.* ports=137,138,139,445
the src/dest addresses lock out any other addresses and keeps sharing localized to your lan

The above is the Network Access side of sharing.

Now you need to setup the shared folders and the NTFS side.
This will control the <everyone> permission setting as read vs r/w - -
but use the Sharing Tab on the properties of the specific folder.
DO NOT share the C: drive itself.

Back