TechSpot

Looking for a Windows 7 driver for an Intel 852gm/85gm chipset

By Tedster
Nov 29, 2009
  1. I have installed windows 7 on an old laptop. However, the video card (integrated doesn't seem to be supported.) I need a windows 7 driver for an intel 852gm/855gm chipset. Currently windows 7 installs a generic XP Display Driver Model (XPDM) video device which doesn't support some movies.

2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Topic Starter Posts: 10,074   +13

yeah, seen that one, but I cannot seem to certify the old drivers. 7 keeps reinstalling a generic driver.....

4. jasonbernal

jasonbernal TS Rookie Posts: 32

nice work guys

5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Topic Starter Posts: 10,074   +13

Finally had to give up and reinstall XP. 7 doesn't seem to support the 855 video chipset and there doesn't seem to be any plans for Intel to update this driver. I made numerous attempts and tried different methods to force windows 7 to accept imported drivers from XP and 7, but none seem to work and the generic driver keeps getting reinstalled. Too bad, because 7 seems like a good OS and it is faster on my aged laptop than XP.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.