Looking for advice to OC my AMD 3200+ on K8N Neo4-F board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I am totally new to overclocking or working with the inside of a computer in everyway. I watched my friend put this computer together for me (he recommended what parts I buy, etc.) about 2 years ago. The only thing I did was to pop in the RAM

Ok so 3 basic questions I have then I will list my specs:

1) Is it worth it for me to overclock? I am super tight on cash and just want to buy some new RAM and get this thing faster for about 12-18 months till I can afford a new computer.

2) I am considering buying 2 gb of Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory Model KVR400X64C3AK2/2G - Retail for $65 bucks (thats my budget unfortunately). So is it a good idea?

3) Any advice on some basics of how I can begin to overclock on this board?

Specs follow:

Name: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Code Name: Venice
Brand ID: 4
Package: Socket 939
Technology: 90nm
Core Voltage: @1.4 V
Family, Model, Ext. Family: F
Ext. Model: 2F
Stepping: 2
Revision: DH-E6
Instructions: MMX(+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
Core Speed 2010.4 MHz
Multiplier: x10.0
Bus Speed: 201.0 MHz
HT Link: 1005.1 MHz
L1 Data 64 KBytes 2-way
L1 Inst. 64 KBytes 2-way
Level 2: 512 KBytes 16-way

Caches
Size: 64 KBytes
Descriptor: 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Cache Size: 64 KBytes
L1 Cash Descriptor: 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 Cache Size: 512 KBytes
L2 Cash Descriptor: 16 way set associative, 64-byte line size

Motherboard
Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Model: MS-7125 version 3.0
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce4 Rev: A3
Southbridge: NVIDIA nForce4 MCP
LPCIO: W83627EHF
Brand: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version 6.00 PG

Graphic Interface
Version: PCI-Express
Link Width: x16
Max Supported: x16
(my card)
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT with 65nm technology
Core: 550 MHz
Size: 10254 MBytes
Shaders 1350 MHz
Memory: 400 MHz
Type: DDR2
Bus Width 128 bits

Memory (2x512 MBytes Kingmax Semiconductor slices or w/e you call em)
Type: DDR
Channels: Single
Size: 1024 MBytes
DRAM Frequency: 167.5 MHz
FSB DRAM is CPU/12
CAS#: 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 3 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS): 7 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC): 10 clocks
Command Rate (CR): 2T
DRAM Idle Timer: 16 clocks
Max Bandwidth: PC3200 (200 MHz)

My current RAM timing tables:
Frequency of JEDEC 1: 133MHz
CAS# Latency of JEDEC 1: 2.0
RAS# to CAS# of JEDEC 1: 3
RAS# Precharge of JEDEC 1: 3
tRAS of JEDEC 1: 6
Voltage for JEDEC 1: 2.5V
Frequency of JEDEC 2: 200 MHz
CAS# Latency of JEDEC 2: 2.5
RAS# to CAS# of JEDEC 2: 4
RAS# Precharge of JEDEC 2: 4
tRAS of JEDEC 2: 8
Voltage of JEDEC 2: 2.5V

I hope that is all the information necessary. It took me a long time to type it all out. Too bad this CPUZ program doesn't have an easy copy/paste text file.

Please let me know if there is anything else I need to provide that can help out.

Thank you so much to anyone out there willing to take time to help me out.

HI calio, welcome to Techspot :)
what is it you want to accomplish with OC'ing? is it for gaming performance?

Hey ,Red1776, thanks for the reply.

I guess I would like to increase my gaming performance. I do not really game as much as I use to, but when I do I would like it to be much better.

However, my main concern is that I recently purchased Microsoft Home and Student 2007 for my job. I am an accountant and I need to use Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc all the time.

I've noticed that when I have multiple programs running [downloading music, playing music, browsing the webs, working in word, AND working inside of a very large excel file, (10 MB or more)] everything slows down dramatically.

Additionally, I noticed the first day that I bought this software package, that Microsoft Excel (even when it is the only program open) seems to be very choppy and slow :(

This is no good at all for an accountant!!

Edit: I am also just interested in learning about this. After reading around a bit it sounds like it might be fun to go through all the steps and see the rewards of success.

ok, first thing is to get into your bios and see if you have access to any control , there is a strong possibility that you do not. if you don't you can use a software program to change your FSB and possibly voltage, However there is a good chance that all you will be able to get from your 3200+ is a OC of 300-400 Mhz. ...but first things first, check to see if your bios affords any control, or if they have it locked up.

ok, first thing is to get into your bios and see if you have access to any control , there is a strong possibility that you do not. if you don't you can use a software program to change your FSB and possibly voltage, However there is a good chance that all you will be able to get from your 3200+ is a OC of 300-400 Mhz. ...but first things first, check to see if your bios affords any control, or if they have it locked up.

Red1776, I believe I am able to enter my BIOS no problem at all.
I simply restarted my computer and hit the [DELETE] key upon startup. I was then taken into a menu where I was able to choose from options such as:
Standard CMOS Features
Advanced BIOS Features
Advanced Chipset Features
Integrated Peripherals
Power Management Setup
PnP/PCI Configurations
Cell Menu
(There were also a few other options)

Secondly, I just wanted to let you know that I have been doing some very minor research, so I have a few programs on my computer such as:
CPUZ
Prime95

Just thought I would mention that in case it helps our cause.

Thanks, again :)

Edit: I wanted to mention something that an acquaintance of mine said regarding this overclock attempt: "just be careful with that board....if I remember (because I had that board) it gets weird around 240 HT if it doesnt like the ram...the BIOS post page will be distorted...if it does clear the CMOS and live with somethinga little less..." then he mentioned:

"So, yeah, try to keep that HT link under 1000MHz (dropping the LDT from 5 to 4 should be enough to go up to 250MHz"
I'm not even sure I know what that means yet, but I thought I would mention it incase it helps you make any determinations for what advice to give me.

Edit: I wanted to mention something that an acquaintance of mine said regarding this overclock attempt: "just be careful with that board....if I remember (because I had that board) it gets weird around 240 HT if it doesnt like the ram...the BIOS post page will be distorted...if it does clear the CMOS and live with somethinga little less..." then he mentioned:

"So, yeah, try to keep that HT link under 1000MHz (dropping the LDT from 5 to 4 should be enough to go up to 250MHz"
I'm not even sure I know what that means yet, but I thought I would mention it incase it helps you make any determinations for what advice to give me.
your friend is talking about your HT Multiplier, raising it to high can overwhelm the system and cause you OC attempts to fail, but we will get to that later.

Edit: I am also just interested in learning about this. After reading around a bit it sounds like it might be fun to go through all the steps and see the rewards of success.
here is a really great article on the basics of overclocking and is a good place to start :)
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/102
I also wrote a tutorial that might be helpful, see the overclocking section if your interested https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic133075.html

so what controls in the bios do you have access to? Im guessing that this was a pre-built? if thats the case the OC control may have been removed. if so you will have to use a third party software program.
also do you have the stock,or aftermarket heat sink on this? (im guessing stock) would you post a screen shot of your current idle/load temps? this is very important factor in OC'ing. you can use this program running in the backround while you stress the system, play a game or use prime 95 to load it up.

Red1776,

No this was not pre-built, if I understand your definition. Like I was saying, I bought most of these parts from a computer store with the help/advice of my friend. He put everything together for me.

I believe I have full access to the BIOS. I was trying to explain above that all I do upon bootup is hit the [DELETE] key and I gain access to the following stuff:

PHOENIX - AWARD BIOS CMOS SETUP UTILITY

Standard CMOS Features (I didn't see anything interesting in here)

Advanced BIOS (here are some of my options):
-quick booting
-boot to OS/2
-IOAPIC Functions
-MPS Table Version
Full Screen Logo Display
-Seek Floppy
-Typematic rate setting

Advanced Chipset Features:
DRAM Configuration-currently on "auto"(this is my only option here, but then I get this nice list of things I can work with:
-Mhz
-Tch
-Tras
-Tred
-Trp
-Trrd
-many others (looks like I have total control over my RAM

Cell Menu:
Currently in "High Performance mode", however, I believe I have total control over all these settings as well:
-Aggressive timing (currently disabled)
-Dynamic Overclocking (This looks interesting??)
-Adjust CPU FSB Frequency
-HT Frequency
-CPU Spread Spectrum
-SATA Spread Spectrum
-PCIE Spread Spectrum
-PCIE Clock (currently 100MHz)
-Cool 'n' quit mode (currently disabled - not sure what this is)
-Adjust CPU VID (currently 1.45V)
-Extra CPU Voltage
-memory voltage (currently 2.65V)

PnP/PCI Configurations
-Max Payload Size (currently 4096)

So there is a brief description of some of the things I have access to in my BIOS. It looks like everything we may need?

Hope I answered your questions. By the way, thanks again for your guidance.

Secondly, I have the stock heatsink. It just looks like a mini-fan directly over my CPU.

Lastly, here is a reading of my temperatures from Core Temp 0.00.5:

At idle:
TcaseMax - 51 Celcius
Core #0: 25 Celcius
Low End: 23 Celcius
High End: 30 Celcius

Prime 95 running on simple stress test after about 10 minutes:
TcaseMax - 51 Celcius
Core #0: 37 Celcius
Low End: 33 Celcius
High End: 39 Celcius

Prime 95 running "GIMPS" after about 1 and 1/2 hours:
TcaseMax - 51 Celcius
Core #0: 39 Celcius
Low End: 22 Celcius (That confuses me)
High End: 41 Celcius
Load: 100%

Hi Calio
I'm fairly new to OC'ing aswell but if im correct I believe higher mhz can be achieved by

increasing FSB mhz or by raising the CPU multiplier. Your CPU speed is calculated by multiplying the FSB by the CPU multiplier.(yours is 201x10)
More good news is that your temps are good for OC'ing about 20 celcius headroom in my opinion.

start by increasing the FSB as its unlikely you will be able to increase the CPU multiplier. (change the freq then do a stress test)

do this in 1-3mhz increments, keep going until:
1. it restarts/blue screen
2. temps reach 65 celcius

then reduce the max freq you achieved by about 50 or so mhz so that it doesnt become unstable or the temperature of the CPU exceeds 65 or so celcuis.

expect no more than 350mhz or so but thats a very rough guess. I achieved 400mhz inc with a 5200.

I'd suggest to talk to red some more aswell becuase hes good at this subject.
I hope this helps you :approve:

Thanks, Alster37. I think I will spend a little more time researching these things and reading up on my board, and ways to incorporate some RAM tweaking.

After reading around it seems that if I educate myself on RAM adjustements, and case airflow I may be able to make this first experience a real benefit.

Of course I also plan to basically hold Red's hand as long as he is willing to help =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back