TechSpot

Looking for an internet diagnosis tool

By Doug8765
Oct 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi -
    I'm looking for a tool that will help me track down a pain-in-the-neck intermittent problem in my computer's internet connectivity. It goes away for a month and then comes back with a vengeance. Doesn't affect my wife's computer on the same cable service. When it hits then my internet is done until I reboot the computer. That's the best I've been able to figure out.

Is there a tool (preferably free) that detects internet connectivity problems?

Doug

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,469   +327

Pls state some specifics;

ISP & connection {DSL, Satellite, Cable}

the modem make/model

any extra router

are you using Wirer or WiFi {vs your wife's connection?}

3. Doug8765

Doug8765 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 175

Hi JOBeard -

The Comcast cable comes into a router (Motorola Surfboard SB5120) which goes to a wired router (D-Link Wired Router EB 2310).

My wife and I both get our connection from the wired router.
    • My connection to the cable is from the wired router - the blue wire goes directly into my computer.
    • My wife's computer takes its connection to the wired router and puts it into a wireless router (D-Link 1310 Wireless Router) and then out of it directly into her computer.
    The wireless router is used for Roku (Netflix and Pandora) and so that our children have a connection when they visit. The wireless network is used for neither my computer nor my wife's computer.

Thanks for showing interest in what has become a thorny pain.

Doug

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.