Looking for any opinions on a motherboard and CPU upgrade

Hello, my name is Sam. I came to these forums in the hope of your guys help! My current issue is that when trying to play certain games i have to suffer through lag. Now I know my cpu isn't the best but I was wondering if that is the only problem. The games in question are GTA IV, Battlefield Bad Company 2, and The Witcher. Thanks in advance for any help!

best cpu for mcp61gm-pm

AMD PHENOM II X4 910E 2.6 GHZ 65 WATT IS THE BEST CPU YOU CAN GET FOR THIS MOTHERBOARD I WENT FROM AMD ATHLON IIX2 260U THAT CAME WITH MY PC UPGRADED IT TO ATHLON IIX2 265 THEN REASERCHED MORE AND FOUND THIS IS THE ABSOLUTLY BEST CPU FOR THIS MOTHERBOARD MAKE SURE ITS THE 910E COUSE A 910 IS 95 WATTS YOU WANT A QUAD CORE TO PLAY GTIV AND BFBD2 OR BF3 GET A 550 TI ALSO GOOD GRAPHIC CARD IF YOU LOOK YOU CAN FIND A GYGABYTE FOR 109 DOLLARS GOOD LUCK AND GET ATLEAST 4 GB 8 GB OF RAm would be better

sorry i ment mcp61pm-gm

just buy this cpu and get 4 gb 550 ti plus a OCZ 500 watt psu with a 12v runing on a 30 amps 80 plus bronze
dont buya new pc just upgrade this and youll be fine THESE ARE MY SPECS BY THES AND PUT IT IN YOUR RIG I DID

AMD PHENOM IIX4 910E 2.6GHZ 65 WATTS, 4 GB RAM, GYGABYTE 550 TI GRAPHIC CARD, OCZ 550 WATT WITH 1 12V 30A , DO THIS COUSE THATS WHAT I DID MAKE SURE YOU GET THE 910E NOT THE 910 COUSE OUR MOTHERBOARD S SPEC RECCOMEND ONLY 65 WATTS THE E STANDS FOR ENERGY EFFECEINT

MY SPECS
EMACHINE 1331G-05W
CPU: AMD PHENOM IIX4 910E 65 WATTS
MOBO: MCP61PM-GM
RAM: 4GB
GPU: 550TI
PSU: 500WATT 12V30A
BEEN RUNNING FINE FOR ALMOST A YEAR !
PLAYS BF3 AUTO MED SETTINGS 1920X1080

The information in the post above is incorrect. Also, use proper grammar and punctuation and stop posting in capital letters - it is considered shouting and therefore rude.

The motherboard is a ECS MCP61PM-GM - Assuming this is correct... This is the CPU support list.

First your stuck to AM2 processors of the K8 Athlon 64 X2, Athlon 64, Athlon FX and Sempron processors, 89w or below. AM3 processors will not work on the OPs motherboard.

In my honest opinion I wouldn't even bother upgrading it. Get a new motherboard, processor and new DDR3 RAM instead, otherwise your wasting money on a legacy chipset.

Let us know your total budget and what you use the system for and we'll recommend something that is suitable.

Im using it

How can u say its incorrect when I am on the cpu right now. An Am3 cpu is backward compatible with Am2\Am2+ sockets. And I have the same board. The board can and will take the phenom IIx4 910e 65 watts Thats the best cpu
I have a Emachine 1331g-o5w it had a stock Am3 cpu AthlonIIx2 260u 25 watts put in a Athlon IIx2 265 65 watts then found the best cpu was my Phenom IIx4 910e 65 watts . Now i can play bf3 no problem ! just trying to save you some money !
Remember if you go with a new motherboard your gonna lose all your info on the hardrive . You can clone it some how in a perfect world
Just upgrading the cpu will be alot cheaper also the graphic card and a powers supply . Make sure the power supply has the right power pins for the new graphic card and enough 12v amps plus you will save all you got on the hardrive . Just put the cpu in and turn on I did it works great . Thats why people like Amd couse Am3 cpu's are compatible with Am2/Am2+ sockets. Now Am3 sockest are not compatible with am2 cpus .

And who are you gonna beleive a man whose been researching this for months or a man who just read your posed and researched it for day ! listen to me but if you want to upgrade your motherboard be prepaired to just buy a whole new pc !
also go to Tomhardware and type down in search forums our motherboard some people uses a 95 watt phenom but i would not reccomend this !

Socket AM3
Main article: Socket AM3

Socket AM3 processors are able to run on Socket AM2 and AM2+ motherboards with appropriate bios updates, but not vice-versa. AM3 processors have a new memory controller supporting both DDR2 and DDR3 SDRAM, allowing backwards compatibility with AM2 and AM2+ motherboards. Since AM2 and AM2+ processors lack the new memory controller, they will not work on AM3 motherboards.

[edit] See also

my specs on pc wizard
Mainboard : eMachines MCP61PM-GM
Chipset : nVidia GeForce 6100V
Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 910e @ 2600MHz
Physical Memory : 4096MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Hard Disk : Seagate ST375052 8AS SCSI Disk Device (750GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH41N
Monitor Type : Gateway FPD1765 - 17 inches
Network Card : Wireless-N 150 USB Adapter WNA1000
Network Card : NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index : 5.9 on 7.9

SEE YOU ON THE BATTLEFEILD

In my honest opinion I wouldn't even bother upgrading it. Get a new motherboard, processor and new DDR3 RAM instead, otherwise your wasting money on a legacy chipset.

Let us know your total budget and what you use the system for and we'll recommend something that is suitable.

Leeky is absolutely correct here.

You are far better going for a brand new motherboard, not a majorly expensive one. You can buy one from this one last generation, or the generation before, and the AMD processors should be compatible for at least the next 6-8 months (if not longer). Get a new motherboard, make it a fairly good one. Get some cheap RAM and a cheap CPU. The key here is the motherboard - you can upgrade to a better CPU and RAM later on. Just give yourself a good foundation to build on later.

I believe a AMD Athlon II X2 260 on a ASUS M5A88-M EVO Motherboard should do the job well, and its not too expensive (AMD people, if I am wrong, please correct me - I am not big on AMD CPUs/Mobos).

The processor should be able to handle most games. Have a good look at your graphics card aswell, make sure its fairly up to date :)

Keep in mind these are Australian proces, but if I bought the CPU + Mobo + Low end GPU, it would cost me around $260 - you should be able t oget it much cheaper in the US.

And who are you gonna beleive a man whose been researching this for months or a man who just read your posed and researched it for day ! listen to me but if you want to upgrade your motherboard be prepaired to just buy a whole new pc !

BELLY888, please do not insult/flame others on the boards, it is demeaning, and completely unnecessary.

@Belly888,
I strongly suggest you read the Community Guidelines.

Also, I've been here a great deal longer, and have earned the respect of my peers. You are two posts into your membership on this forum, with half the Guidelines already broken.

Your method may work, but it is not officially supported, and the motherboard will likely be strained by upgrades in a larger power envelope. We don't deal with what if's, we deal with yes and no. The official documentation available lists guaranteed to work components. Your method is far from guaranteed.

Also, cut the attitude or you'll find yourself banned. I strongly suggest you read and then adhere to the forum's Community Guidelines.

no

So I guess It don't matter to me just trying to help the man . If you upgrade your motherboard your gonna lose everything on your hardrive . I already asked the question he asked months ago and got a answer. And here I am playing BF3 without upgrading my mobo I saved all my info on my hardrive couse I just upgraded my Cpu, Graphic card an Powersupply ! I went through what he went through ! I know the feeling just trying to help .

well our motherboard can take up to 89 watts how is a 65 watts gonna strain it his cpu is 45 watts.

I already did upgrade my cpu to a phenom IIx4 910E @2600MHZ for almost a year now.

Helping is fine, giving attitude is not. You did not need to resort to flaming to get your point across, and it will not be tolerated.

Backup's of critical data removes the issue about having to reformat Windows when changing the motherboard for another. That is standard practice so really not a concern that needs to be addressed in any way.

Back