Looking for free DVD converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

alisbin

hey mates,
i've got myself an EEEpc for travel but since it doesn't have a DVD drive (and running an external kills its battery life) i convert my DVDs to AVI files. up until now i've been using DVD Decrypter (convert to VOB and IFO) and Auto Gordian Knot (convert to AVI).
however recently i got a couple DVDs that DVD Decrypter wouldn't work on so i'm looking around for something free that will either take its place or maybe even turn it into a 1 step process.
any thoughts?

You might try media coder, just drag the VOBs into it then select the codec and container of your choice then select the location you want the files to go to and it will tanscode them pretty quickly. The latest version even supports cuda so your video card might speed it up quite a bit. It is completely free and it can convert almost any media including the files I find in games that have extensions that don't actually exist.

Unfortunately their site is down right now so you may not be able to download it but its hosted by source forge so it may be back up pretty soon.

Edit: I think you can download it from here now. http://majorgeeks.com/MediaCoder_d4987.html

hotdot - is that going to be able to pull it off the dvd though? the key to dvddecrypter in alisbin's first post is that it gets the movies off the disk initially, if the disk is encrypted like most mainstream movie releases something has to decrypt it.

I've seen a lot of suggestions of VLC around the web, since it will decrypt, and should encode to whatever format you select that it can play. But I've not had much success when trying it. There are video tutorials on using VLC for this that may help.

hotdot - is that going to be able to pull it off the dvd though? the key to dvddecrypter in alisbin's first post is that it gets the movies off the disk initially, if the disk is encrypted like most mainstream movie releases something has to decrypt it.

I've seen a lot of suggestions of VLC around the web, since it will decrypt, and should encode to whatever format you select that it can play. But I've not had much success when trying it. There are video tutorials on using VLC for this that may help.

Yes actually you click file> add track> either select the drive letter or if it doesn't show up just select the drive location and then select the "tracks" you want or select whole dvd and it will transcode it. I have never used this feature though but I will try it out right now and see if it makes one big file or a bunch of seperate files.

Edit: I cant seem to get it to work but I found a tutorial that shows how you can transcode straight from a DVD.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23552

still working on it, so far no go, it transcodes into a 0 meg file... the tutorial helps a bit but i'm still not sure whats going on with it.
does look great for resizing the videos i've already got though

you may try leawo free dvd to avi converter. it is free and powerful, i think it may can help. download it here.

desertfish; you need to paste in the entire URL as linking is not premitted until you have a couple more posts.
hey mates,
....[ ]... up until now i've been using DVD Decrypter (convert to VOB and IFO)
...[ ]...however recently i got a couple DVDs that DVD Decrypter wouldn't work on so i'm looking around for something free that will either take its place or maybe even turn it into a 1 step process.
any thoughts?
DVD Decrypter hasn't been updated in a couple of years, (courtesy of a law suit by Macrovision. You might try DVD Fab. I think that's in our download section.

i think u have maken things complicated, I know tool can help u make things easier. Pavtube DVD Ripper which is an all-in-one program can help u convert dvd to avi directly. if u wanna enjoy the powerfull fuction, u can have a try

Commercial DVDs are usually protected by CSS, Sony ARccOS or other anti-copy measures. I know several free DVD converters, format factory, handbrake, DVD shrink, Leawo DVD to AVI Converter... Since decrytion capability is not necessarily with the DVD converter programs, so you may have to try each of them to see if they could decrypt your DVD disc correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back