Looking for freeware

Status
Not open for further replies.

morland

Looking for good freeware for the following purposes:

1) Generates a report of all installed software. It would be ideal if it can somehow read the registry and also generate list of software which are no longer installed but have their traces in the registry

2) A freeware which will allow me to capture the text displayed in error messages/dialog boxes.

Thank you

Re: Capturing text inside of a display window

There's not a "perfect" solution for this but check out SysExporter. Freeware utility allows you to grab text data stored in certain types of windows.

Note for the example below the text in the error window (on left) is displayed in the lower pane of Sysexporter. You could copy/paste it from there. (Note sometimes the Items column = 0 even when it has the data you want)

attachment.php

Attachments

• sysexport.JPG
    sysexport.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 30
Thanks LookinAround.

BTW, and just to share: you may already know this just found a tip that for standard windows dialog boxes CTRL+C copies the text on a dialog box and one can then paste it in notepad. I didn't know that and found it to be pretty cool :)

WinAudit by Parmavex Services
freeware and it is thorough and can save results in several formats including CSV

Thanks LookinAround.

BTW, and just to share: you may already know this just found a tip that for standard windows dialog boxes CTRL+C copies the text on a dialog box and one can then paste it in notepad. I didn't know that and found it to be pretty cool :)

Hi morland :wave:
oh yea.. If you're using Vista or Windows 7 it's easier to copy stuff. SysExporter helps for those still using XP

you probably also know these tips by now also:
Ctrl-A to Select All
Ctrl-V to Paste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back