Looking for game programmers for an MMORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw123

Hi everyone

I cannot seem to learn how to program DirectX so therefore I cannot create an MMORPG that I want to make. I need some programmers who can program a fantasy MMORPG with me, I have concepts. If you can, please reply to this thread. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

sw123

Hmm...

I could program some DarkBasic ( The most evil of BASIC coding :haha: ) / make textures / 3d models but I dont think you could just get some guy from a forum and make a MMORPG... You could get a cheap program like RPG maker or something.

Also what do you plan on making?

A 3d RPG like WoW / EQ or a 2Dish RPG like Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past ( the older LoZs, not the new 3d ones )

Sorry, don't have much experience with 3D modeling (although I can do 2D textures) or the DirectX API (although I know C++), but if you ever need some 2D graphics or need something done in Flash/Actionscript I may be able to help.

To create a client-based 3D MMORPG game you'll need:

- Someone to come up with ideas
- 2D Interface artists/designers
- 2D Graphical artist (or same as above) to create 2D textures
- 3D Modelers
- Programmers with experience in coding for the OpenGL or DirectX (windows only) APIs
- Programmers with experience in coding for the operating systems you want to support
- Game testers
- Logo, main application icon etc.

I don't know that much about making games, so I probably left something out of the list.

I make ideas, friends helping
I need programmers
I have books on DirectX and can make very BASIC models
I can make icons/2d images

sw123

I can make all the stuff basically but im still suggesting you start with a 2D RPG befor going into 3D RPG because it wont take as long and it could probably be done in a few weeks or a month or 2, All 2D games really are is a texture that moves around over another texture ;)

When (and if) you guys finish this game, you WILL send it to me. You WILL. No Questions. WILL.

First off, skip writing a new engine, just use an existing one. It makes it much easier, and reduces the problems you'll run into.
There are plenty of engines out there which you can either use freely, or buy a license for. (Some allow you to start using for free until you charge for the game, then you have to pay).

Two, find some good network programmers! You'll need a server which can support many connections, and it needs to be very stable (or easily switch to a backup server.
The system should support streaming updates to the client whilst the player is in the game, so that your players won't need to download patches separately.
You'll need to come up with a protocol that can handle packet loss, and won't require too much data being sent back and forth.

There is what appears to be a pretty good wiki article about building your own MMORPG here which I think you should read...

Then there is a project which'll simplify building an MMORPG which you can find here. It's not out yet, but I'm sure you can use the time developing the assets for the game.

I don't have any time to help you develop the game, as I've got three university projects that require all my attention (develop a game for Xbox 360 using XNA, learn how to code HLSL Shaders and then an easy one which is just to create a game with Game Maker). But you might find more people interested if you describe the project a bit more. If someone is going to dedicate their spare time to a project, it has to be with something they find interesting, and it's easier to decided that if you tell them something about the world..

Also, you might want to check out Top Secret which is a new online game by Acclaim where you can help come up with ideas for it. And if you contribute a lot, and are lucky, you'll get a chance to develop an MMO with a profesional team!

Good Luck!

Whilst not being fully fluent in DirectX, I am currently learning Managed DirectX (since that is what's used when developing for the Xbox360 with XNA) and C#, and have some working knowledge of C++, Java with a smatter of OpenGL.

But as I said in previous post, I do not have any spare time for coding these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back