Looking for gaming friendly anti-virus software

Status
Not open for further replies.

alisbin

hey mates,
in the past every time i've tried a virus-scan, its ended up taking up lots of system resources even when not doing a scan, which very negatively affected my gaming life. so, what i'm looking for is an anti-virus that either uses almost no resources when its not doing a full scan, or that can be set to a sort of sleep mode when i game so it doesn't interfere or slow things down. i haven't tried any recently, but below is a list of ones i've tried in the past.
kaspersky, avg, norton, mcafee

NOD32 is pretty lightweight and is one of the best AVs around, but it'll cost you. Microsoft's Security Essentials is free, also has a relatively small footprint, and offers respectable coverage.

You could, of course, just disable the AV while playing -- or ditch your AV altogether.

i've gone years without regular AV, i'm just seeing if there is a good option really, i'll look into both that you mentioned. as for disabling, some of the ones that i tried in the past wouldn't really disable, they would keep taking up their huge footprint...

Seconded on NOD32. Excellent protection with a light footprint and I have had it running while gaming without an issue.

The free versions of Avast and Avira are two other suggestions

I haven't used NOD32 in a couple of years, but I wasn't pleased with its performance.
Avast 4.8 is game friendly and a good A/V program, I wouldn't mess with Avast 5.0 though, its got some problems, and it isn't game friendly.

With 4.8 you can turn off the pop-ups and you can manually suspend the updates while you' re playing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back