Looking for help to increase my FPS

speedy45

I am looking for help to increase my FPS for my PC, and my build for my PC is:

Pentium 4 651 3.4GHZ
2GB 667MHZ DDR2
Diamond Radeon 5670 HD 1GB GDD5
1 250GB Serial Hard Drive ( my OS, games & my programs are installer)
Windows XP Home SP3
1 LG 1440 X 900 @ 75HZ ( is the resolution of my LCD I use for all my games)
All Latest drivers for my PC for all my hardware.

So my problem is the following games in the before list get around 20FPS to 30 FPS:

Battlefield 2142 ( 1024 X 768 because this game can only handle this resolution)
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Dawn of War 2 Chaos Rising
Starcraft 2
The Sims 3
Red Alert 3
Anno 1701

So my question how do I increase the FPS while the graphics of the games above look great, so let me know?

Besides the obvious answer of overclocking, well everything. That would probably get you 10%+ in frame rate. A lot of people find this helpful for keeping the visuals looking good but getting decent frame rates. In the Crysis section they call it "a fake enthusiast setting". Anyway I see some of your titles on there.

http://tweakguides.com/

well superty12 on my Drive C: where my OS, etc is install to is about 10GB of hard drive space, & for red1766 I will check out tweakguides.com's website, & let u know. So I tested my games & I found out that VSync & "Wait for Vertical Refresh" was turn off, so I turn them on for VSync
& Always on for "Wait for Vertical Refresh ", so it help for keeping my FPS to match my Refresh Rate for my LG LCD which is 75HZ.

Red's link is definitely a great place to start since your best bet is to play around with your settings to find a good balance between performance & eye candy. Beyond that and OCing as mentioned, you will need a new system. I would recommend start saving and putting money on the side to upgrade as you do have a dated system minus the lower end video card.

Red's link is definitely a great place to start since your best bet is to play around with your settings to find a good balance between performance & eye candy. Beyond that and OCing as mentioned, you will need a new system. I would recommend start saving and putting money on the side to upgrade as you do have a dated system minus the lower end video card.

Yeah well that's actually the best answer right there.

ok so why is my graphics card is Relic is "lower end video card" & could I install a Core 2 Duo E6700 on my PC get my games FPS higher that look great at 1400 X 900

ok so why is my graphics card is Relic is "lower end video card" & could I install a Core 2 Duo E6700 on my PC get my games FPS higher that look great at 1400 X 900

Don't get me wrong I wasn't trying to insinuate that your video card due to being lower end was bad. On the contrary actually the 5670 is a very good budget gaming card, I myself have a 4670 in another machine and it runs great at lower resolutions.

Regarding CPU's an upgrade to a Core 2 Duo should improve your frame rates and both seem to be the same socket. However until you tell us your motherboard we can’t say for certain if you can upgrade that system. If you don't know it and have a stock PC tell us the make & model.

But as I said before I recommend just saving up for a whole new system, shoot you already have a video card and monitor that you could reuse :) .

well ok Relic I see my motherboard is Intel D945GCNL with latest bios version 0036 installed

well ok Relic I see my motherboard is Intel D945GCNL with latest bios version 0036 installed

According to Intel the D945GCNL motherboard should handle Core 2 Duo's with 1066 FSB which the E6700 falls under. For power your current Pentium 4 651 if I'm not mistaken uses more then the E6700, so that should be fine as well. So unless I'm missing something here you should be able to upgrade. Make sure you clean the HSF properly and have good thermal grease and ventilation for your case since the E6700 has a lower threshold.

I don't think you'll have to reformat with a new CPU unless you want too but just make sure you actually have the latest bios for that board.

I also hope you already have the E6700 on hand as looking at current prices they seem to be way higher then is worth due to it being older. As I've already iterated you would be better off saving for a whole new system especially if you plan on playing more recent and higher demanding games.

so Relic should I do the upgrade or wait until I have the money get a new system.

I think a complete new build would benefit you more then trying to drag along the lifespan of your current system. Especially if you plan to play newer games like Battlefield 3 come end of the year, and if you save now you should have plenty of time to get something nice for the winter time.

ok Relic thanks for the info, right now I am trying figure what is causing my FPS for my games not where it should be, I trying to decided if its my CPU or my DDR2 of 2GB not in dual channel or my Hard Drive.

so just to add for some reason my main Hard Drive C:\ is now 15GB free for some reason, which is I don't why this happen?

so just to add for some reason my main Hard Drive C:\ is now 15GB free for some reason, which is I don't why this happen?

:confused:

Your C partition on your hard drive has 15GB more space all of a sudden? Did you uninstall anything? Move around large files to a different partition or off the hard drive? Being a little more clear might help out.

honestly Relic I don't know why all of a sudden my c:\ hard drive is now 10GB but there a software that I use to find out what is taking a lot of drive space on my pc?

Also to add I install Piriform Speccy & found out that my RAM is DDR2 PC2-5300 @ 333MHZ
So I upgrade it to Dual Channel 667MHZ will solve my problem?

ok Relic thanks for the info, right now I am trying figure what is causing my FPS for my games not where it should be, I trying to decided if its my CPU or my DDR2 of 2GB not in dual channel or my Hard Drive.
I don't think it's unusually low.
I can already tell you that it's the processor.

The CPU is dragging your FPS down; 2GB of RAM (which is running at 667; you multiply the speed by 2 when it's DDR'2', by 3 when it's DDR'3', etc.) is adequate for gaming, as is your graphics card and HDD, whereas your Pentium 4 is really stretching it. An E6700 would add a lot to your computer's gaming performance, I would imagine, although as Relic said a new system (apart from your graphics card which is fine) might be the way to go. These days a new AMD based RAM/mobo/CPU that gives you decent performance can cost under $300; look on Newegg for specifics or just ask hellokitty[hk] who seems to have all computer prices in the world in his head :D

you multiply the speed by 2 when it's DDR'2', by 3 when it's DDR'3', etc.
That's not true.
An even number of RAM sticks in dual channel symmetric mode will effectively double speeds; they can be DDR2 modules or DDR3 modules.
Triple channel RAM has been shown to have little increases to performance, so there is no "triple speed" mode per se, you just use faster RAM.

BTW I believe your RAM is already in dual channel mode.
667mhz ≈ PC5200, wherever you're getting 333mhz from is probably only reading one stick.
RAM speeds don't make a big difference anyway.

I'm somewhat familiar with the general prices, but I don't have a clue where you'd get a 65nm conroe core processor; I don't think newegg carries them anymore and I'm sure other sites have been phasing them out too.
Indeed you could get new AMD based system for <$300 USD, but at that point your graphics card will be holding you back, and your power supply likely won't allow an upgrade.

That's not true.
An even number of RAM sticks in dual channel symmetric mode will effectively double speeds; they can be DDR2 modules or DDR3 modules.
Triple channel RAM has been shown to have little increases to performance, so there is no "triple speed" mode per se, you just use faster RAM.

Hmm ... I always thought I understood the Wikipedia article ... nvm....

You might need a bios update too, though you'll have to wait for someone else to look at this compatibility I'm as uncertain as you.

You might need a bios update too, though you'll have to wait for someone else to look at this compatibility I'm as uncertain as you.

oh k except I have BIOS Update number 0036 which is the latest & i am not sure if Intel is going to release a BIOS Update to allow for the Core 2 Duo E6700 to be compatibility. Just a heads up my drive space is now 18GB so got highly then before which it was 10GB.

Back