Looking for help with a "random shut down" problem with a Toshiba Satellite A305

By LukeHaag
Jan 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. If you can help me solve my problem I will be more than happy to compensate you for your time! (PayPal)

Okay so to be precise, it is a Toshiba Satellite A305-S6857

The problem is that the computer will completely shut off at any given time. It will sometimes boot into windows but it will be a black screen with only the cursor until a blue screen pops up that I never have enough time to read through. It won't stay on trying to install a new OS or in the Setup Manager.
    What I've tried:
    Removing hardware one by one to see if it was the problem
    Completely cleaned heatsink
    Removed battery and ran only with power cord
    Power drain
    Replaced motherboard with a used but working one

Let me know if you need anymore information.
    Thank you in advance for your time!
  2. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,232   +119

The blue screen should produce a minidump file. Locate this file on your pc and upload it please.

Usually in c/windows/minidump.
  3. LukeHaag

LukeHaag Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

How do I go about accessing that?
  4. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,232   +119

Go to my computer, then navigate to (c:)/windows/minidump

There should be a few crash dump files in there, choose the most recent by date and upload it here.

Alternatively, download blue screen view here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/BlueScreenView.shtml

Use it to analyse your minidumps, and google the results it gives you to help diagnose why your computer blue screened.
  5. LukeHaag

LukeHaag Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I can't get into that, the computer won't completely open Windows. Its just a black screen with the cursor.
    Same scenario with Safe Mode.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.