Looking for opinions on a motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stick'o ram

All right so i've bought all the parts for my new computer expect for two.
I don't want to spend a huge amount on a motherboard but I want it to atleast perform good. Yes I know that higher priced products perform better but I think I've found a MB that might be a good balance between the two.

What's your opinion of this motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128374)

Thanks.

should be easy for that board, I dont know about that cooler, so i wont comment on it, but I am an overclocker, and have had the best results with the multi heat pipe stacked aluminum fin (where the copper pipes actually make contact with the cpu surface) maybe Supermashbrada will stop in with a suggestion. he has his I7 920 OC to 4.2Ghz, he water cools, but probably knows the best air coolers for the OC I7

Your Gigabyte choice is hardy... rugged... consistently more reliable than Asus and many others. We expect you will be very happy with it.

The Gigabyte board is a really good one for what you're going for. I'd only suggest others from Asus if you were doing something extreme, like 4.5ghz+.

It looks like you dont want to spend much on a cooler, best bang for your buck is going to be a ximatek cooler, make sure you get the bracket for the i7 socket.

I'm really looking for something that won't make me take off that side fan. Do you guys expect motherboard prices to drop before the 30th? (That's when the rebate runs out).

Thanks for all the ideas so far.

keep your side fan?

Hi again stick,
if you really want to keep that fan on the side this is a good option, the ocz vandetta 1, its not as tall as the vendetta 2 and will leave room for the side fan.(I also have an interior 120mm fan on my side panel aligned on top of my processor). now it is only a degree warmer than the vendetta 2 (see the benchmark I linked above) . the i7 is going to throw more heat obviously than mine, but here is a snapshot of my temps with the vendetta 1 OC from 2.7 ghz to 3.4Ghz under normal load, hits 30c max while playing crysis warhead. I have exceptional airflow in my case ,and your load temps my be higher, but it does perform exceptionally well. I attached a pic for you. hope it helps Stick :)

Attachments

• HWmonmay10.PNG
    HWmonmay10.PNG
    96.2 KB · Views: 5
I recommend this motherboard instead. You save about 80-90 bucks, and only lose two DIMM slots and one PCI-E slot. You still have the option to go Crossfire\SLI, but with only two cards instead of three. These features aren't worth the extra money IMO.

As for a cooler, I recommend this heatsink if it fits (it's about 1cm shorter than the Xigmatek). Otherwise, the Vendetta is your best choice.

If Rage's recommendation wont fit and interferes with your side panel fan, heres an idea of clearance in my case. I have a side fan right over my cpu as well. it looks odd because I have a clear acrylic case, but the heat sink in the pic is the Vendetta1.the fan at the bottom of the picture is the side panel fan. I hope this all helps lol :)

Attachments

• DSCN2652.jpg
    DSCN2652.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 7
Looks like everything you need to know is right there in the link you provided.
The only question is whether Beach is selling it as new or if it is a resale... Beach is good for low prices, but they play fast and loose with the truth, in our experience.... Lots of refurbs and resales of returns to Mfg related to disappointments and minor issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back