Looking for possible alternative to AVG, or other suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

treeski

Hey all,

I am currently not using any anti virus software (aside from zonealarm). I was using AVG for a long time, but after the most recent big update, the program was always chewing up more memory than any other programs running at the same time.

Anyone have any suggestions for other programs or know of a way to reduce the amount of memory AVG seemed to have been chewing up?

Thanks!

Avast Antivirus

Hi :

I have been happily using the FREE Avast Antivirus Home Edition for several yrs
and occasionally "Help" out on their EXCELLENT Support Forums . Info about the
program is at www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html ; always Best to read a
product's "FAQ"s BEFORE using it and Avast's is at www.avast.com/eng/faq-avast-4-home-professional.html . Avast does NOT function well IF there are any
remnants of a PRIOR antivirus program on a computer, so any prior program's
"Removal Tool/Uninstallation Application" should be run PRIOR to actually INSTALLING a "new" antivirus program; this is particularly true IF either Norton or
McAfee was on the computer .

SPECIFICALLY, WHICH Zone Alarm program are you using ? Is it ONLY the
"firewall" !?

This is kind of late, but thanks for the suggestion. And I have been been using only the firewall version of zonealarm. I'm going to look into avast asap. Thanks again, any other help is appreciated :)

Hey, try Kaspersky Internet Security 8, it doesn't slow down your system, my stsyem is a Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz with 640 MB RAM and there are no slow downs when scanning is going on. Plus it's really effective, it combines web protection and resident shieldind against trojans, viruses, worms et al. It even detected a keylogging program that was installed on my PC by some dumb person.

Here is one that I learned about here - Malwarebytes' Anti Malware
The free version doesn't have as many features, but works really good. I don't notice a slow down on my machine with it, but I just installed another 2 gig of ram so I don't have a lot of slow down anyway. I also use Sygate as my firewall and I think it does an awesome job.

I recommend Avira Antivir Personal (the free edition).

lol right now the antivir processes are using around 12-15MB of RAM on my system.

Highly recommended :)

What do you use for a registry cleaner? I went ahead and bought Uniblue because it was pretty cheap. But I haven't seen any free ones. Which firewall do you use?

For me, AVG only uses 1.7MB of memory while idle, I don't see why you'd ever need less. If the problem is memory usage during the scan, simply scan at night or when you aren't running any processes. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back