TechSpot

Looking for solid suggestions for new wireless router

By Blkfx1
Oct 22, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello Everyone,
    It's been awhile since I have posted here. I am in need of a new wireless router. I was hoping to pick the brains of the TS forum readers on the subject. Right now I am using some crap provided by comcast. I was wondering if anyone knew of any solid replacements.
    Budget: $200

If any other information is needed. Just request it in your response : ]

Thanks in advance.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,410   +315

I have always used and recommended Netgear routers and switches - - never been disappointed with their equipment.
  3. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Topic Starter Posts: 889   +171

Thanks for the reply! Any specific Netgear models you would recommend over others? Or all of them are pretty solid?
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,410   +315

Your choice :)
  5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,954   +901

I love my N600 Dual band router, my speed is constantly 150 Mbps on the 2.4GHz and my dad runs on the 5GHz and gets 300 Mbps constant. I would say buy a router with Gigabit if you game or download/upload a lot of files. But if you just browse the internet and dont recieve high download/upload speeds, dont go too high end of a router.
  6. Blkfx1

The machine I game on is hard-lined straight to my modem pulling about 1 Gbps. Although, I would like to maintain a solid and fast speed on the devices connected to my WIFI network.

So Gigabit & Netgear are solid picks. Thank you for your suggestion!
  7. JC713

actually if you are a hard core gamer, you may wanna buy a killer networking card
  8. Blkfx1

Well, I do not game off the devices I use with my WIFI connection. My main rig is hard-lined and the speeds are solid and fast. It's just my laptops, phone, and other misc devices.
  9. JC713

I game on wifi, and I dont lag usually.
  10. Blkfx1

My concern isn't really with gaming. I just want a solid and fast connection for my laptops and other random devices. My current WIFI router just cannot keep a solid connection.
  11. JC713

Yeah, I would recommend anything net gear, just make sure it is dual band, it is very useful.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.