Looking for sound driver

johnomila

i recently formatted my windows xp sp2 and ive lost d sound..when i check audio settings..it reads 'no audio device'.pls help me find d correct driver.here is my computers details
Operating system:windows xp professional sp2
Cpu type:AMD Athlon XP, 1111 MHz(11x101)
Motherboard name:Asus A7A266 (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 1 AMR, 5 DIMM)
Motherboard chipset:ULi/ALi M1647 ALiMAGiK 1

Thanks a lot..but there is just one more problem..i dont know how to install it..when i try clicking on the setup icon it reads''the driver will be installed in a few minutes,please wait'' and then i wait but nothing happens..i even checked my sound but still no audio deuice and no sound

hmmm.. now that's odd.. not sure what should cause the setup to hang :confused:

Don;t know it should be causing the hang but i see you're still SP2. Upgrade to SP3 as you should be running SP3 in any case and try again

/* edit */
also, if not already, download and save file on your computer first. Then run the saved file

UPDATE

I just happened to go the ASUS site and downloaded the audio driver for your m/b. Are you also downloading file cm288b_xp.zip from ASUS? Cuz i just looked at it and it doesn't include a setup file. These driver files must be installed a different way. Is this the file you are also downloading???

Unpack the zip file and save to a folder on your Desktop

> Open Device Manager, right click on your audio device (it probably has a yellow icon in Dev mgr)
> Select Update Driver, the Hardware Update Wizard should appear
> Select No, not this time, then Next
> Select Install from a list or location, then Next
> Check Include this location in the search then Browse to the folder on your Desktop, click OK then Next

The driver should install. If you get a pop-up about not Windows Logo tested, just click Continue Anyway

/* edit */
TIP: Every driver has an INF file. (The driver's INF file tells Windows how to install the driver). When there's no setup file EXE but there is an INF instead, one can use Dev Mgr to select the device they want to install and run Hardware Update Wizard as above

Ok...but i dont even have a sound device with any yellow exclamation mark..i just have the normal audio codecs,legacy audio drivers etc..so i used add new hardware
I did what you said but when it installed..the computer restarted and said it just recovered from a serious error and then when i checked device mgr it read'unknown device'and it also said that i dont have a driver for the device.

List any Problem Devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot window, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

yes there was a problem device. This is the information:
PCI Simple Communications Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1040&SUBSYS_10008086&REV_00\3&61AAA01&0&58 The drivers for this device are not installed.

re: the "problem device" looks like you have a modem card on computer that's missing it's driver

but as to your audio problem... Windows isn't detecting your audio hardware. Look through all your BIOS setup options. See if there's a BIOS option for Onboard Audio and make sure it's not disabled in BIOS

Ooops. oh yea.. forgot to include that :) Try the driver HERE

/* EDIT */
I just corrected the link above so it's direct to the driver

1) i just updated the link in last post so its direct to the driver
2) You'll have to do the Hardware Update Wizard trick to install it as i see it only has the INF file in the zip file

ok..sorry for the late reply..i have installed the driver,my onboard audio is enabled..but the sound is still a problem...maybe there is another sound driver i can download..cos the asus still shows unknown device.

no worries. your reply is not late at all.. we all need to do other stuff as well :)

About your still "Unknown" device in Device Manager

> Are you seeing any devices with yellow icons in Device Manager?
> Things labeled "Unknown" in DevMgr usually occur under USB and don't have the yellow icon (and your audio isn't USB)
> What category does the Unknown device appear under?
If you can provide a screen shot, it might help make it clear

You might also want to take a skim through [post=1002891]Guide to Troubleshooting Windows Audio and Sound Problems[/post]

As of your last dxdiag report, no audio device was being detected. You can also try
> Disabling onboard audio in BIOS, restart Windows.
> Then re-enable onboard audio and startup again.
Sometimes, toggling it off/on in BIOS sometimes helps (if the audio h/w itself hasn't failed)

Back