TechSpot

Looking for video coded converter

By H3llion
Aug 13, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. So iv recently purchased a media player for watching movies of my media external drive on my TV, but iv run into a small problem. Some video files aren't supported by the media player so I have to convert the videos to different format.

Those anyone know about a good video codec converter? I could do it in Sony Vegas but not sure if that's really good idea ....

Edit:

Looking for video codec* converter
  2. lopdog

lopdog TS Maniac Posts: 378

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but try HandBrake.
  3. mike1959

mike1959 TS Addict Posts: 1,060   +20

Video conversions.

Some of these converters are easier to use than others, and depends very much on how much the user knows about video and audio formats.
    There is a good choice on this page;
    http://lifehacker.com/5058888/five-best-media-converters

Some programs are mostly 'find the file on your pc, choose format, start'
    But others need every last detail to be set up, and are not so easy to use.

I use 'Format Factory' almost daily, but, it works in an unusual way, and it is worth trying out a few of the free programs, to find one that suits.
  4. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 968   +99

Cheers for the links, will deffo try em out ;)
  5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,539   +301

The problem with Handbrake is it really only goes to h.264 now. Older versions would convert to divx/xvid but they dropped that several versions back.

Your media player probably supports h.264 so Handbrake is good for that. But if your media player doesn't support h.264 you aren't going to get anywhere useful with Handbrake.
  6. mike1959

mike1959 TS Addict Posts: 1,060   +20

7. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 968   +99

http://www.ebuyer.com/274064-cyclone-micro-2-mkv-player-cyclone-micro-2-player

Video Codec Support = H.264, H.263, MKV, RM/RMVB, WMV9, MPEG 1/2/4, Xvid and FLV
    Video Container Support = MKV, TS, M2TS, TP, WMV, VOB, AVI, MPG, MP4, M4V, MOV, RM, RMVB, XVID, FLV and PMP.

Talking about video codecs will this device play AVI as well as WMV? It says "Video Container Support" but not sure what that really means :X
  8. WinXPert

WinXPert TS Booster Posts: 527

ditto with Format Factory
  9. damonlee

damonlee TS Rookie

You could also try Combined Community Codec Pack or CCCP it is a codec pack built for playing videos. I hope this would be helpful.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.